Should Truckstops Charge For Parking?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by delta5, Nov 19, 2011.

Should Freeloaders Be Charged For Parking?

1. *

Yes

23.0%
  2. *

No

49.7%
  3. *

Boot Them Out

4.8%
  4. *

Charge Double If They Wont Park Correctly

24.1%
  1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    I don't worry about parking straight or lines.....

The Mom & Pops I usual park at...Have dirt lots.....Life is easier that way.....:biggrin_25523:

losttrucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bkrnj

bkrnj Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2006
    DENNY's FOOD SUCKS , Its the worst thing Flying J ever did . Used to be able to get good food at the Hook , Fish , real mashed potatoes , veggies , steaks , just decent food ,, now they have frigging Denny's come on you must be kidding

4. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I actually don't have enough of a reverse gear to back 90 degrees into a spot anymore. :biggrin_2557:

5. stonecold_2136

stonecold_2136 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Lansing, Michigan
    I parked there after I fueled. Didn't cost me a dam thing. Trip plan so u can fuel and shower there for free like I did.

6. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Whoops, some lady rolled her fuel tanker in the parking lot and now both sides are closed. No, you cannot wait on the side streets for hazmat to take 10 hours to clean it up. Go away. So much for your "trip plan."

(Yes, this actually happened.)

7. rzl-dzl

rzl-dzl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2011
    100 mile house
    buy something from the store, get free parking, return item at next TA for refund.

free parking.

mustang970 Thanks this.
  8. ConcreteCowboy

ConcreteCowboy Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2011
    On the Road
    We have been stopping at Petro in West Memphis since it opened. 4 hours of free parking and more if you spend $40 in the store or buy 50 gallons of fuel. We pulled in the other night and the first encounter was half the parking spaces blocked off - and empty - with the VIP parkiing spots. We found a spot, took our required break and when we got ready to leave in 3 hours were told $16.58. Rather an odd amount. Last month they decreased the time to 2 hours of free parking, increased the cost from $10 to $15 and now they add sales tax - did I buy the parking space and what is that percentage of sales tax?

I am not certain but I am pretty sure that Jason's Law was not created and enacted as a new way for truck stops to make more money by using half their parking lot for reserved parking and increasing their rates and charge sales tax but heaven knows truckers don't spend nearly enough at the truck stops or to the government in taxes so they just need to keep on finding ways to squeeze just a little more.

So now we know and now we know to just pass by Petro in West Memphis in the future. Of all the truck stops that think they should be paid premium price for parking is the truck stop listed as #1 of the worst truck stops in the US for nuisances. But as long as they keep the lot full and the money rolling in that is the important thing,

9. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    why would anybody stop in West Memphis gotta be the worst craphole in the U.S. good place to end up like Jason.

10. stonecold_2136

stonecold_2136 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Lansing, Michigan
    I think all truck stops should charge for parking. Unless you have a fuel receipt for that truck chain within the last 48 hours, or have spent at least $10 with a reciept at that truck stop that day or previous night.

Also the company should reimberse the driver for the cost of parking if he or she has to pay to park.

TA in Jersey charged to park I got with my dispatch and got the cost covered - to be reimbersed on my next paycheck

11. ConcreteCowboy

ConcreteCowboy Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2011
    On the Road
    I think the chain fueling or purchase makes sense and is fair. Heaven knows they make enough money off us and if our time clocks don't coordinate with our break time they shouldn't extort more money out of us for that. Simple solution now is to ask first and then hit a ramp. Enough I'd enough and too much is miserable.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.