Should Truckstops Charge For Parking?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by delta5, Nov 19, 2011.

Should Freeloaders Be Charged For Parking?

1. *

Yes

23.0%
  2. *

No

49.7%
  3. *

Boot Them Out

4.8%
  4. *

Charge Double If They Wont Park Correctly

24.1%
  1. buzz1670

buzz1670 Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2009
    ny
    This is the way most of the pay to park places operate.I think most of the ones complaining are the ones who don't spend a dime at the truckstop and expect a place to park because their entitled.

SHO-TYME Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lowa3468

Lowa3468 Heavy Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Portland, Or
    Nope don't we get charged enough as it is, first coffee free now charged except at loves and small mom and pops with 50gal purchase. High priced food, groceries, and I thought extortion was against the law but some force you to buy something or pay a fee to park...ever run into pay a fee to park but yet they have nowhere to park that a good one too

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    300% markup in the store and you want to charge me for a parking spot? I'd rather put you in a dumpster and roll down the road.

5. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Sure.

But I expect a security guard a bigger parking lot & maybe a foot rub.

6. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    From the security guard?

[​IMG]

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What do you think these guys are running a business on thin margins?

a bunch of these places make 30 cents on a gallon of fuel, while their mark ups on snacks and food products have to be almost 120%.

On top of that, they treat us as if we are a nuisance. The last time I was at a pilot, I got the impression when I was standing at the fuel desk I was bothering the person behind the desk because she had to tell the person she was talking to to hold on. We are a captive audience and they know it, so they jack up the prices and we have no choice so no they should never charge for parking.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  8. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    The only thing that holds us captive to these big chain stores is being too lazy to figure out where the mom and pop around the corner is. You have access to satellite pictures of practically the entire planet that has never before existed in history, use it.

BostonTanker and gokiddogo Thank this.
  9. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Well, how would you like it if every third person you had to wait on stunk to high heaven because they haven't showered since Bush was in office, or every day, 1 employee had to spend 1-2 hours cleaning up trash in the parking lot from the night before from all the truckers who can't find a trash can. What about those nice FREE showers you get with fueling, who pays for the upkeep when drivers go in and tear them up or the two rolls of toilet paper you use because of those 2 for $5 hotdogs you ate last night?

As far as the fuel price, I'm GLAD Pilot Flying J SCREWED all of those big companies, it will probably even out all the expenses that the mega fleet drivers do in damage to their property.

If you want to complain about paying for parking, maybe you need to complain so we all pay the same fuel prices so then, the truck stops will make enough money they won't have to charge for parking.

What about all the truckers and trucking companies who use truckstops for their home time parking yet don't spend a dime there? The Loves in Falkville,AL looks like a STAR Transport terminal. One night I was there, there were 8 DROPPED trailers there taking up space.

ladr, skateboardman and truckon Thank this.
  10. Sonny Pruitt

Sonny Pruitt Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Western US
    I've never been to a pay-to-park place which charged people who actually BOUGHT stuff there. Fuel, hit the restaurant, etc and you're a customer, not a freeloader. Freeloaders should pay.

truckon, buzz1670 and SHO-TYME Thank this.
  11. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011

Your post is ridiculous...

The showers should absolutely be free considering the mark up that pilot and other places add to the cost of fuel versus other smaller truck stops. You spend $800 on a fill up and then you should still have to pay for a $12 dollar shower ( Its no longer $10 )

Probably 90% or more of drivers that go into a pilot or any truckstop to use the bathroom and get fuel or whatever almost always come out with something in hand that they purchased from the truck stop... The mark up that the big truck stops add to the price of all goods pays for the people who clean the showers and what not... The mark up is small in some cases maybe only a couple pennies but it adds up very fast... DO you think the owner of Pilot was able to buy the Cleveland Browns for a Billion dollars because he's not making money at his truck stops? C'mon

How do you know the people that dropped the trailers at the loves didn't spend any money there? When they come back to hook them trailers its almost a guarantee they will go into to get a coffee or oil for the truck or something... without a doubt...

How many Pilots, TA's, Loves, Flying J's have you been to lately where the line almost goes out the door because they have one person working behind the fuel desk? And you wanna talk about charging for parking.... C'mon

54Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.