Should we be worried about robot trucks taking jobs in the next decade?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Charlie Best, Sep 4, 2019.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    When AI takes over. It ain't gonna settle on 25% tolerance components.

Rideandrepair and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tanksmuch

Tanksmuch Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Central Arkansas
    I feel confident that automated trucks are coming fairly soon... 10-20 years. But I don't think you'll see them anywhere other than interstates for many, many, years.

Artificial Intelligence technology in a truck can and will be hacked for nefarious purposes. They were talking about AI when I was in college (early 80's). So here we are almost 40 years later and what the engineers and scientist keep finding out is, the more progress they make, the more progress is needed. They keep plugging more variables into their algorithms and are finding it impossible to cover the possibilities. They will have to limit the variables to make it safe as possible.

In my opinion, what we'll ultimately see will be "virtual train tracks" (lanes on the interstates) very similar to virtual highways in the skies that commercial/IFR airplanes follow now... 5-10 feet mean nothing in the air (vertical spacing is already 1,000 feet), but on highways that could be deadly for other vehicles.

Article quote...
    Despite the progress, many hard problems remain that will require more scientific breakthroughs. So far, most of the progress has been in what is often referred to as “narrow AI”—where machine-learning techniques are being developed to solve specific problems, for example, in natural language processing. The harder issues are in what is usually referred to as “artificial general intelligence,” where the challenge is to develop AI that can tackle general problems in much the same way that humans can. Many researchers consider this to be decades away from becoming reality.

Charlie Best Thanks this.
  4. gkmissingca

gkmissingca Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2017
    I can see team driving with a truck on the 95 in the middle of NV Or some stretches of I 10 or I 40. But most roads have too much going on to just let it fly on its own.

5. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    When I was a kid I went to the 1964 World's fair and they said by 2000 we would have flying cars.
    It's going to take a while, first they will run on the interstate and we will dock them.
    I think 20 years at least.

6. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Take away from this thread is no one really knows what is going to happen. I side with those that say it’s good to think about other options but also I see way too much needs to be put into an automated trucking system than will be available in the next couple decades.

Cheers!

Charlie Best Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.