Should yearly hair follicle testing be mandated as a condition of retaining CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by nredfor88, Nov 25, 2022.

Should yearly hair tests be required as a condition of retaining CDL?

1. Yes, testing should be required.

21 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No, testing should not be required.

58 vote(s)
    73.4%
  1. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Yes, they should mandate it.

This would help kick tens of thousands of drivers out of the industry, making the driver shortage worse, forcing companies to compete more fiercely for the 90-95% of remaining drivers, and ultimately driving up pay for those of us who remain.

This wouldn't actually improve safety, but it would increase my pay, since I don't use drugs. So from a "what helps me?" POV, absolutely this is a great measure!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There is not now, nor has there ever been, anything close to a "driver shortage". The ATA has been crying driver shortage since the 90s. Wasn't any then. Ain't one now, There may be a shortage of properly trained drivers but the ATA has only themselves to blame for that.

4. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Yeah it's a pay shortage, not a driver shortage. OOIDA really says it right.
    There *is* supply and demand tho, and if you remove 5-10% of drivers w/ more drug testing, well demand ain't going nowhere... so pay will hafta rise.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.