Should yearly hair follicle testing be mandated as a condition of retaining CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by nredfor88, Nov 25, 2022.

Should yearly hair tests be required as a condition of retaining CDL?

1. Yes, testing should be required.

21 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. No, testing should not be required.

57 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. AsphaltFarmer

AsphaltFarmer Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2022
    New Mexico
    If so, should the rules reflect the window of inebriation for revoking a cdl? For example, driver tests positive for some prescribed pain medicine but it's unclear if usage overlaps with non safety sensitive recovery period and safety sensitive period. What's the process or framework for making that determination?

Numb Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    Can someone explain why the effin gooberment needs to collect any personal, private biology from a human? If you're OK with it, are you ok with the gooberment telling your wife or daughter or sister that they have to be on birth control to get a job? Where do you draw the line if you're willing give them access to everything you are??? Do doctors get hair tests? Lawyers? Teachers? Nurses? Politicians? Judges? CEO's? It's always the guys doing the work that makes this world turn who gets to deal with power hungry, greedy, weak fools that are never challenged and are allowed to take authority that was never granted to them.

4. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I think that we as an industry have more than enough DISCRIMINATORY requirements, and regulations to deal with now. In fact, to be fair to everyone, I think that ALL drivers of ANY type of vehicle should have to comply with all the rules and regulations the same way we do or face suspension of their licenses as we do. We go through enough crap as it is to provide services to an UNGRATEFUL nation as it is.
    FYI I Believe that the wording of this poll could have been done a little bit differently. No one thinks that doing drugs is OK

5. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    Nightwind = No one thinks that doing drugs is OK

WHO is the No One?

Any One and Every One Thinks Doing Legal Drugs, AS PRESCRIBED, Is Okay!

ILLEGAL DRUGS = NOT OKAY

LEGAL PRESCRIBED DRUGS = APPROVED, OKAY, AS LONG AS NOT ABUSED.

I have had ZERO PROBLEM with any Truck Driver taking PRESCRIBED DRUGS as Written as I Too Have Been a 2 Decades Plus, OTR and Local 70' Combo and 26' Straight Truck Driver!!

I have had zero personal issues with any Truck Driver taking UN PRESCRIBED DRUGS because I'm NOT A MEDICAL PRACTITIONER nor able to DIAGNOSE People as to what they're on, if anything, other than WORN OUT.

NO ONE is who has any authority over ANY, EVERY, SOME ONE.

Hair Follicle testing Shall Continue at Those Companies That Require Said test Procedure(s).
    For Those AGAINST such Test Procedure, Stay AWAY from Those Requiring Companies which are NOT solely operating in Transportation.

TO THINE SELF BE TRUE!!

NightWind Thanks this.
  6. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    I have had 1 driver fail drug testing in40+ years he had cocaine in his system . Keep in mind that there are SOME types of prescription drugs that are forbidden to take an operate a commercial vehicle.

7. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Drug testing is such a crock of crap. Ideally a interlock device to test for impairment as is available for alcohol would be perfect…It would eliminate drivers impaired by drugs or alcohol,,,id be all for that. My company does not test,,rule is report for work fit for duty and remain so while on duty. Its none of their effing business what i do in my off time

NightWind and Numb Thank this.
  8. jaffles

jaffles Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Australia
    Hey don't forget the emergency services! You could probably argue many these positions, especially ones of power can kill or harm far more people than any truck driver. Its just not so immediate or head line grabbing.

Down here its reported doctors in hospitals are doing 16+ hours days. So its suggested we need more doctors or better hospitals. Don't hear anything about log books, monitory breaks, maximum hours. Certainly no random or scheduled drug testing.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    NightWind Thanks this.
  9. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Hey bud I totally understand where your line of thinking is coming from, think if its just what people do in their own homes there would not be an issue, where it does become a matter of concern is when people who drink alcohol, or take mind altering drugs then decide to drive a vehicle on a government provided highway. And of even more concern when one does so with a commercial vehicle weighing in at around 80 000 lb. What do we say if someone does so and then causes some harm to other road users or even worse takes someones life by their careless and thoughtless driving to someone else's wife,husband, children, mother or father?

chrismcallister34 Thanks this.
  10. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    It's all ready illegal to drive intoxicated. It's illegal so the gooberment can prescribe punishments. Some of those punishments are supposed to be a social deterrent for some behaviors. I get all that.

This is NOT the same thing.

If people keep allowing their basic human rights to be violated, then you can never say No to the gooberment. We already have to give urine to them...now they want hair...then it'll be blood, then DNA, then you'll be "qualified" to drive based on your genetics. This is you telling your grandkids that their personal self is not their own but the gooberment's to do with as they please. #### that.

11. The Green Mountain

The Green Mountain Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2022
    Maine
    Likert scales are notorious in the Social Sciences - and provide very little insight unless the sample pool is enormous.

"How do you feel about Topic X?"
    Rate on scale 1-5 or 1-10.

But yes, lies #### lies and statistics.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.