Should yearly hair follicle testing be mandated as a condition of retaining CDL

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by nredfor88, Nov 25, 2022.

Should yearly hair tests be required as a condition of retaining CDL?

1. Yes, testing should be required.

21 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. No, testing should not be required.

58 vote(s)
    73.4%
  1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Just like 35-40% of drivers drink alcohol while driving? Get real....

MIT and Numb Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    They have some DNA from Christ. Some from aliens.

They just want to find out who's who.

jaffles Thanks this.
  4. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    I bet 35-40% of public school teachers do drugs. Are you going to suggest that all teachers get mandatory testing?

Is all this testing, and all this R&D money, actually going to accomplish anything? What exactly? Will the roads be safer if the gooberment forces you to physically harm yourself and send your hair to some private company that some senator's cousin owns and he gets kick backs for creating the regulations in the first place? Oh wait, that doesn't happen. Nobody in the gooberment EVER does anything underhanded like that. That's why they get paid the big bucks. Because they are all perfect and know exactly how you should be living your life.

If there is a push for more regulation, who benefits from it exactly? Can you provide one study that has been conducted and where is the data that suggests hair follicle testing will somehow benefit society?

Were you awake for COVID?? Did you learn anything about gooberment authority?

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Sorry to get political, but for framing, this is a useful construct, view society as a 3 legged stool

The 3 legs are

1. Freedom
    2. Adherence to rules/tradition, or "order"
    3. Concern with equality and "fairness" (in some formulations, compassion for those at the bottom)

1. Libertarian
    2. Conservative
    3. Liberal

Think of those legs, how reasonable is it to sit on the stool if 2 are shorter than the other? You can do it up to a point, if all legs vary wildly, its an impossible balancing act. If those legs constantly change, you can never get your bearings and drink your beer

I say this as an ideological libertarian who thinks freedom ought to be the one thing maximized, but on a practical level, there are just going to have to be SOME rules, no matter how dumb those rules are. We also cant ignore wild inequality, its just plain bad for society if there are people that dont feel like they have a chance at life, thats literally how we got nazi germany, the french revolution, overthrowing the tzar, mao.

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Think of all the unsolved murders and stuff that would be solved once we're all cataloged.

Then they'd go," See how great this is?" Then they'd catalog everyone.

7. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I regret that I have but one thank to give this post

rch10007 Thanks this.
  8. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015

The guy in your avatar would sure hate that!

InTooDeep and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. rch10007

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    #### near (because there are always exceptions) every person on this planet lives with a code. That code is intrinsic and the basis for our moral code. Things like do not kill or do not steal. These are easy to consider because the basis for this code is do unto others... However, there are people that gain power in this world and their existence becomes one of maintaining that power at all costs. These people are who create the rules nowadays...the greedy. They are the ones that falsely generate a "need" for you to comply with their rules, even though they do not adhere to the same rules they create. Why then, should we comply at all?

I agree we need some rules. However, if they cannot be applied across the entire human species concurrently, it's not a rule that should be written down, mush less considered.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    The rules for china should apply in the usa? The usa ought to spread its freedom on the rest of the world?

Ecuadorian building code should prevail in northern canada?

No, this assumes too much cohesion and ignores various cultural differences even within a country. Some are not equipped for freedom, some are not equipped for restriction, and it will be too hard for individuals to adjust without the various cultures moving first, which they all do at their own speeds

rch10007 Thanks this.
  11. rch10007

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    Ok, I suck at context... I guess I was showing my bias.

It a perfect world, there'd be no political boundaries. However, I was using humanity as standardization for US legislation in my argument. I did not consider China or Canada... I mean, who considers Canada anyways? :p

If some aren't equipped for freedom, do they still deserve it? Who gets to decide that? Would you assume weed smokers are in the group that isn't equipped for freedom and deserve to have their hair pulled out and tested before they may be employed? Why does one group get to dictate that instead of that same group just getting over the fact that they can't control everything in this world.

Again, where is the need for this hair pulling? The righteous require compliance and the outlaws require the righteous to eff off. Which group deserves the freedom to dictate to the other? In the old world, it was might makes right. We've evolved a little since then. However China did just drag their old Alpha out to pasture...anyone see that?

FYI, my bias include the smallest, most limited goobermnet agencies necessary only to perform administrative tasks agreed to by the most local "culture" based on physical location. With regard to local building codes for example...if locals want building codes, so be it. Let there be a standard by which those that want to adhere to them, can do so! However, if I want to buy some land, build a mud hut and rebuild it every time it rains, why can't I? Why is your need for standardization allowed to interfere with my freedom to build however I see fit? Some HOA's don't allow gardens in their hoods...wth is that? Why should my tax money be used to create, maintain, and enforce building standards onto me that I don't agree with? Where's the freedom in that?

Rules that are designed to benefit those that create them should be viewed as a power grab and be subject to charges of treason.

jason6541 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.