Should you stop at railroad crossings, even if not required by law?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jonathan Worsley, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Jonathan Worsley

Jonathan Worsley Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2017
    I was curious to know how experienced truck drivers feel about the idea of stopping at railroad crossings even if not required by law. For example, if your not carrying hazmat. I used to not think that much about crossing a railroad crossing (I live next door to one and cross it nearly 10 times per day), but after seeing this video (), I don't feed safe just "crossing" one without stopping or at least slowing down considerably first.

I'm actually really confused with how this happened in the first place. I've done a lot of research on how railroad crossings work and can't think of one reason why this could happen. There's a current that constantly flows between the rails. The interruption of this current by... pretty much anything will cause it to activate. A train's wheel, a lightning strike, a damaged gate... You could probably snap one of the wires with hedge clippers and it would still activate.

But anyway, knowing that it's possible for all of these safety features to fail... somehow... I feel like you probably should stop. What do you think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    No....... slow down and look sure but don’t stop.

Lepton1, PE_T, austinmike and 4 others Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think trains should stop at each grade crossing and give vehicles the right of way.

5. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You are Captain of the ship. You judge conditions and make a decision. Do you want to explain in court why you were rear-ended when the law doesn't requires you to stop. Or do you want to explain in court why you derailed a train? You make the call, or haul HazMat where the decision is made for you.

Ke6gwf, 91B20H8 and spindrift Thank this.
  7. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Personally, I dont stop at RR crossings. However, IIRC the law states that even without Haz Mat or tanker, you're supposed to slow down so you are able to "reasonably" see that no train is coming.

8. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    no.

should you stop at all intersections, even if the light is green?

some one could run a red light!

Lepton1, Cam Roberts, Woodys and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Jonathan Worsley

Apr 30, 2017
    Thanks for the replies. This is really helpful advice.

10. Jonathan Worsley

Apr 30, 2017
    To be fair, where I live, I constantly almost get hit by someone making an illegal left turn at a red light. In fact once when taking my sister home from the movies, at literally every intersection I almost got hit and at each, the other person made a left turn on red (which isn't even allowed in countries where you drive on the left). I blew my hown each time, but they just ignored me. Driving in PA sucks.

11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Not all RR crossings are made equal. If I stopped it depended on how much of that track I could see.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.