Side of street parking

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by kanidana, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    Actually there are exceptions. I remember reading something they put out in a bulletin a while back (couple of years ago maybe?) because some shipper/receivers DO REQUIRE you to park on the street (National Container in Chicago is one that comes to mind off the top of my head). I'll see if I can find it...

Speed_Drums and Metalicious Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    I generally would park nearest truck stop to shipper, never depend on parking at shipper unless you been there before. Never parked on street. I kept a log of all shippers as to whether there was parking, restaurant or points of interest nearby.
    Most every shipper would provide info with a phone call as well as a honest time regarding how long takes to load.

Speed_Drums and Metalicious Thank this.
  4. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    I agree I have heard, I heard it in orientation that it was excepted if required or in case of an emergency situation like a truck failure or something that ends up placing you on the side of the road. But when I called, as instructed in orientation, the lady I spoke with stated only that she would note the shippers location and notify the agent that they require on the street parking while waiting to be loaded. Still seems silly to me though they even say anything about it. Like they are going to have zero liability no matter what. See how that works out for them if or when something does happen.

This is exactly what I did ultimately is went to the nearest truck stop and waited in that parking lot until they called and said they were ready. Then returned and still had to sit on the street waiting for a short amount of time after that. May have affected detention pay on it, though I am not sure. If Landstar wants to place the onus on me, I have no qualms with just leaving the load an agent hanging. But they did, both Landstar operations and the agent say it was acceptable for me to park in a safe location to await my time to load. I will just have to see is that true when or if I am paid for all the wait time associated with that load at the shipper.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  5. merv85

merv85 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2020
    Dallas, Tx
    Landstar also applies the rule when you are not under dispatch. The below video(old), The couple got fired from Landstar after someone complained for parking their truck in their apartment complex.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.