Signed up for a 3 day refresher course with Jiffy Truck School, DMV Drive test in 4 weeks.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by davefred99, Aug 29, 2020.

1. davefred99

davefred99 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2020
    Day 3 Update:
    It was a long and stressful day but I am excited to say I passed and am now a legal CDL holder.
    The day started @ 7am and we did a complete pretest & Air brake simulated test. I was anxious and and nervous knowing that later in the day I would be doing this all for real and forgot a few things but we worked through and as the day went on my nerves settled a little bit . We then practiced a few alley dock parking's and worked a little on my straight and offset parking, then a few parallel parks and I seemed to be doing pretty good. Actually my instructor said it was excellent but I told him it was just adequate to me. He told me I was too hard on myself and I was doing fine.
    So then we went on about a 45 minute simulated drive test which went fine with no issues.
    After that we took a little lunch break, went over some pretrip and air brake stuff till it was time to go to the DMV for the real deal.
    After checking in at the DMV it took what seemed like forever for the DMV examiner to finally come out and great me. Fortunately she was a very pleasant lady and made me feel at ease. We went over some ground rules and then went straight into a Pretrip inspection. I was told I only needed to do a portion of the truck covering the air hoses,coupling and trailer but only the rear axle and breaks. By the time I was 1/2 way done with that part I was feeling like things were going well.
    After completing and passing the Pretrip we got in the cab and did the Air brake and In cab inspection. I passed that with out any issues accept she tried to trick me by saying "are we ready to go drive" before I finished the Tug brake and Rolling brake tests. I told her no we need to complete those tests and she said good answer go ahead and complete your test. I did that and she told me I passed and we could now go over to the skills test yard and do our backing portion of the test.
    We drove around the block to the skills yard and she explained I that I needed to first do the straight line a and offset skills test, which I did with one or two extra pull ups but complete successfully. We then did the Alley Dock park which started out a little bad but I just pulled up and started over and completed it without much trouble . She did warn me that it appeared that I might not have exited the truck safely but she would let it go one time only. After that she told me I passed and we could now do the driving portion of the test. I did ask what my score was and she said I missed 5 points but was allowed 12 so it was pretty good overall.
    The driving test too me was the easiest part and she told me I obviously had driven a truck before and did fine. She did knock off a few points for minor things like not looking long enough in my mirror when changing lanes one time and not turning on my turn signal soon enough at some point. I am not sure were else I got dinged but she assured me nothing serious and I passed with 13 points lost and I could loose a up to 30 and pass. So I think I did pretty good and am very grateful I got a good examiner who to me was pretty accommodating and easy to work with.
    Now that I once again have my CDL I now get to go out in the real world and actually learn how to drive a truck and not just pass the test.
    Dave:cool::)

brgrcru, rachi and HiramKingWilliams Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.