Silicosis?

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by CamryXSE, May 20, 2023.

1. CamryXSE

CamryXSE Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2020
    I didn't think about rig workers bathing in the stuff.

I don't know the risks. Maybe I'm just health conscious, possibly overly so.

I've be going to the fitness center for 10 years. I've been dragging my feet about taking testosterone. I've had no gains since my first or second year just trying to make overall health a priority.

Maybe I should just say it isn't for me?

That sand enters your lungs and it's in there...forever? I just don't want to play with that.

201 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    They have ones you drive over. It stays in place. Only saw it one time back in 2016. It was a new concept back then. CalFrac was doing it.

4. CamryXSE

CamryXSE Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2020
    I thought ND works the tanks old school more than TX? Yeah, it was just that one thing holding me back. I have years of tanker experience.

They said stand upwind, and they had us open up a tank first. It still seemed a lot to me, though.

I once trained for a gasoline delivery job. I didn't particularly care for all the fumes in that job, either. In the end, pulling those supertankers in the snow and going to desolate gas stations at night, without a gun... I didn't last there, either.

5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I dunno, I've never worked in ND. That's @bonder45's area.

If you were using vapor recovery at the racks and the stores then your exposure to vapors would've been minimal.

6. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    The ones you drive over have a name but I can’t think of right now but those are only used now when the Viper style systems go down and a replacement is nowhere near or there’s no replacement’s.The viper style systems have a belt that moves left to right and retracts.

7. jamin22

jamin22 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2009
    I would say there is still just as many if not more fracs still using hoppers with an operator with a respirator unloading them into a conveyer. On windy days (which is often in ND)the sand is everywhere in the air

Halliburton seems to use sandboxes exclusively

CamryXSE Thanks this.
  8. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Silicosis and the threat of silicosis hasn't gone anywhere.

CamryXSE Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.