Simple question want to confirm about getting own authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Nov 8, 2018.

1. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    So I can basically setup my own authority while leased to someone and then once it is all setup I can inform the person I am leased to that I am leaving and can continue with my own authority? Just making sure I dont have to leave first and then create my own authority.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I don't see why not. You will have to buy insurance on your truck and your new insurance broker will provide proof of coverage to the government then after 3 weeks I think it will click over to active. All it means is you will be paying for 2 policies for a while, while you're still working for current carrier. I don't see why this would present an issue. In the event of an accident, the policy of current carrier is active and on file for your power unit.

I could be missing something, though. When I did it I was fed up with giving up such a large % I just said heck with this and parked it for approximately 5 or 6 weeks before I hauled my first load.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  4. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    Yeah im sure my broker is ripping me off since every load he quotes me is nearly the same price no matter where I go or the mileage he must think I am an idiot.

kenn2632 Thanks this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Have you gotten an insurance quote yet? If so, would you mind sharing what that is?

6. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    Not yet they are busy right now and said they will call me back. Sure I will let you know my quote once I am actually all setup and ready to roll on my own.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.