since when did the shoulder become a rest area?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mathematrucker, Mar 28, 2021.

1. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Right here. There's tons of parking all over the place. Just the big outfits are full. Get creative. Stop looking for red and green numbers in the distance, and start looking for a place to park a truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I rarely find myself running out of clock and unable to find a parking space, mostly because I trip plan lots of alternatives. But when all else fails, I burn some Pilot/Flying J points and call ahead to reserve a space.

Snailexpress, bzinger and Dockbumper Thank this.
  4. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I suppose maybe I'm just a cynic, but if all the truck stops are full and there are trucks lining the highway before and after a rest area, I think maybe, just maybe, the area could use more truck parking. Seems kind of intuitive to me.

I guess one could decide that the quantity of parking in a given area is somehow irrelevant, but I'm not sure they would be correct.

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Keep in mind that there are many drivers who prefer parking on an on/off ramp rather than a truck stop or rest area because either they have trouble backing into tight spots, or worry about other trucks hitting them. They're also lazy slobs who like the convenience of dumping their trash along the more remote areas too. Those are the drivers that give us all a bad name with the public.

6. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Yes, it would seem so at first glance, and more parking would be helpful. However the problem isn't lack of parking. It's lack of drivers that are willing to find a place to park other than a mega stop, so they hit the shoulder instead.

Edit: And FYI, I'm new at this whole trucking thing, and I don't have problems finding parking. I also go out of my way to never park at mega stops.

Snailexpress and tarmadilo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.