Single axle Peterbilt

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Earl82, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Earl82

Earl82 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I am looking for some opinions or experience in using a single axle semi and a 48 or 53' stepdeck. I ran a hotshot setup about 8 years ago and was plagued with Mechanical issues because I feel the truck was not heavy duty enough to constantly run.

Equipment example : 2008 Peterbilt 384 single axle sleeper with 10 speed and C13. All aluminum stepdeck. Or a less expensive steel and wood stepdeck.
    I have been watching some local and regional freight in my area(Cincinnati) and light loads with decent rates seem to be moving every day. Which is what I want to do.
    Let me know your thoughts if any. I know local/regional is not everyone's cup of tea but I think I may be able to make it work. Just have to hustle. If not I'll go over the road.

Coffey and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
  4. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    It depends on your operation. I see what you're saying, it could work, make and save you $$$ at the same time.

If you can score a local/regional direct haul contract that has light freight that doesn't require a tandem rig, why have one? Dedicated direct haul S/A regional work will save you on fuel, maintenance, insurance, HVUT and get you home most every night. You might be able to get a good used S/A from a beverage hauler for a real good price, as they seem to be everywhere.

Downside, it is what it is, a S/A, so it's limited.. Would I get one with the hopes of scoring loads off the spot market, nope.

5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Your plan doesn't sound bad. I actually run mostly spot market right now, & never really have a problem getting fair rates. Except the garbage in my home state, which is why I leave it for 2-3weeks usually. Had some mechanical issues recently, but after the holidays I'm gonna hit it hard again..

Lots of the lighter, taller, expedited freight pays pretty well. It's a bit tougher cause sometimes there is only 45-48k lbs loads to get out of a dead zone, but they are cheap so I dont usually want them anyway. I've been toying with the idea of adding an axle from time to time, but the grass is always greener..

It can be done on 4, but choose your equipment wisely. Set yourself apart from the pack. Be as versatile as you can, because weight ain't our thing..

That '08 Pete with a c13 sounds bad. You don't want a Caterpillar with a DPF. They were probably the worst of the '07-'09 MY engines..

At such light weight, you don't need a lot a hp. You can get by fine with 350. I perfer Detroit's. I've got a baby 11.1L. Ifta average 8.8-9.2. At a low of 7.76, I knew something was up, hence the mechanical issue I mentioned earlier..

Also if you want to stay under 2290 (HVUT) <55,000lbs, a steel & wood stepdeck is going to be a beast. All aluminum is best, but a combo can get you going. I can load 28k lb on my rig at that weight. You probably be down to 24-25k if you run an all steel step.

I was just reading in the heavy haul section, & there is a fella in there with a nice w900, & 50' step. Not talking sheet, but his empty weight is 37k!! Math says legal load of 43k at 80k gross. If I bumped my tags to 72k, with my spread I could theoretically scale 45k. Sure, it will be tough to keep the drive legal, but you can still work on 4..

@Earl82 ask anything, feel like I've just been rambling.. LoL :eek:
    20191211_084829.jpg
    20191016_153627.jpg

SL3406, stwik, Earl82 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Sure if you want to run a lightweight setup you can do that. What kind of little truck were you running before? They have improved the capability of little trucks significantly in the past decade or so as hotshot trucking has become more of a normal thing.

A lot of those hay haulers in CA run single drive sleepers since they are limited to 5 axles total so you will usually find a couple of those for sale in central CA. Like this one is pretty cool. Maybe a little high on price but somebody gave a crap about it.

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/for-sale/32226677/2003-peterbilt-385?CTRY=USA

stillwurkin and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Hmmm single axle Peterbilt, don't think I've ever seen one of those, did it have a steer axle or a drive axle.
    The tractor in the picture is a 2 axle tractor.

Earl82 Thanks this.
  8. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    I'm lining up things to do exactly this! SA tractor and step, or if I can find one, a set of 28' flats...

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  9. MagicMan22

MagicMan22 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2019
    I wouldn’t spend my money on a single axle...way too limited

Opendeckin and adayrider Thank this.
  10. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Horses for courses. I have a specific application in mind, and it is not my primary gig.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  11. MagicMan22

MagicMan22 Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Then round up the cows and get ready to milk. No sarcasm meant at all....Good luck. Hope you get rich.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.