Sit low with a long shifter?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Smaggs, Sep 11, 2011.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    It's probably not much of a movie. If so, it's an old black and white.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Those are the best ones.

Cattleman84, 650cat425 and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If I tried to put any air in the seat my feet would hardly be touching the ground. 5"6 i tried riding with some air in the seat when i 1st started driving and just felt odd. Never hit anything either learning in NYC.

If you have walking beam or Chalmers and ride with no air that's no good lol. Some of the 10 wheelers i drove in the oilfield had walking beam and going back empty it would almost shoot you out of the seat

Shawn2130 Thanks this.
  5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Anybody that drove a mechinical Cummins knows that air ride seat is worthless. You gotta put left foot down on the floor solid to steady your body otherwise you are bouncing up and down on the throttle. Woop,woop, woop,woop! My ‘67 351 has an original Lear-Siegler air ride seat. It sits up higher than others do allready when its all the way down. The old unilite cabs have less headroom than the new ones do so Because of these two things I gotta be “cool” and sit on the floor. Lol!

650cat425 Thanks this.
  6. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    I sit with no air in the seat. I was taught a long time ago by an old schooler that if you’re beating your body, you’re beating the truck. Hasn’t let me down yet.

7. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    A Pete 379 driver recently gave me a 6 inch shifter extension to try.

I tried it in the Ford for the heck of it.

Lasted about a week and I put the shifter back to normal height.

It felt more comfortable at the height but the way the shift throw it was bending my arm too far back.

650cat425 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    The stock seat in my company Western Star would only recline back about 5 degrees and made me Lick the Window

Had to go on a mirror and hardware hunt one day on the road in Indiana after my passenger mirror vibrated off the mount from Michigan’s Roads of Beauty.

I decided at the same time I had had enough of the drivers seat with 250 thousand farts on it and was going to rip out the passenger seat and bolt it into the driver position being they were identical.

While in Ace I found some barrel nuts that I could use as stud extenders for the front of the seat and a bunch of washers to shim up the front. .

It was like heaven on earth difference having the seat bottom rocked up and the back reclined just that little bit more.

I asked the company shop what they wanted me to do with the old worn out but looked good drivers seat when I got back into the yard.

Chuck it in the dumpster. I saved it and gave it to my buddy to mount on his old John Deere lawn tractor to class it up a little bit.

But back to the subject. Definitely have to lean forward and search for those little cars hiding under your mirrors on the passenger side if riding reclined when making lane changes.

And the shifter thing I don’t get. Heck I got spoiled by my Western Stars offset shifter that set about exactly where your hand would fall.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    It's cool looking when done right I think. A little taller than stock so it peeks up over the window sill. Mostly a modified hood truck thing.

D.Tibbitt and 650cat425 Thank this.
  10. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    My truck had a 10' tall shift stick in it when I got it. After trying to drive it once, I removed the extender and put it back to regulation length. Two things; my old man shoulder is too banged up to be constantly raising my arm to shift. Secondly, from what I could tell, the shift tower was taking a beating with the weight of that long stick bouncing around all the time.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    D.Tibbitt and 650cat425 Thank this.
  11. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE

Would definitely think it would be hard on the forks and rails in top of trans cover.

beastr123 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.