Sit or bounce?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by cnsper, Aug 19, 2017.

1. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    So true everything you have written.
    A New England load regularly means a 5 or 600 mile deadhead for me. Typically MA to western PA or maybe if I am lucky somewhere around Buffalo. Last time got caught with some idiot in northern Vermont who - when I get up there - won't load me because I am 1 strap short !! 80 mile round trip to buy another strap. I ended up with a 600 mile dh to the next load point. Got caught over a weekend again too.
    Another 600 from Oregon down to Sparks for a Miami run which caused me to drive all the way to Cordele for the next one.
    I, like you, will NOT take cheap freight. I will run empty before I do that. If everybody did that it would force the customers (I do not think it is the brokers in this case) to be realistic with what they offer.
    A $1 a mile to haul 44,000 lbs of beer through a mountain range is ridiculous and yet they offer it all the time. Some idiot is taking it !!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It's really funny, cause I think it's an awesome time to make money right now as an O/O, rates are high and plenty of loads are available. You just gotta know lanes. The area you are sitting in, will get you good loads only 2 months out of the year.

4. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    Thank you. I really appreciate the input.
    So where do you suggest right now?

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I try to plan my escape before I get there, unless I'm in a major market.

Rather not DH 250 miles, but at the same time, that's $75 worth of fuel, and some miles on the truck.

And I regularly do DH around 200 for good load back to the house as a planned move.

Sitting is the kiss of death, unless your tired, and you need a day to rehumanize yourself.
    OR
    You know for a fact the good load is coming, that also takes you to a decent market, or the house.

6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Along i80, MN,IA,WI all the way to Northeast and back including IN, MI, OH. You can easily gross 5k on 1500-2000 miles per week if you work 5 days. I don't even go south of IN from September to April.

7. Gentlemanfarmer

Gentlemanfarmer Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Greenville, FL
    If you know the cost to run your truck each day helps make the decision. If your truck costs $500 per day then waiting four days for a $2000 load is break even. But if you dead head to a load that pays the same $2000, but it cost you a day to get there, then you will have gained $1500. Most of the drivers I know that sit and wait for their "go" price are usually in paid for trucks and can afford to wait.

I try to keep moving, but have learned to stay in the freight lanes as best I can so that my deadhead is low and freight is readily available. While I enjoy taking freight to Montana, it doesn't pay enough to deadhead long distances to go out there very often.

8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Bounce - every time. I can't sit still anyhow. Sitting costs money in itself.

Below is a 3 day trip. Almost 50% DH. Now home.
    $2.55 to the truck all miles.

IMG_1892.JPG

9. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    Thanks I have cut and pasted that into a note. I will look. Much appreciated.

10. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    So in the winter you stay north of Indiana?

11. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    I'll assume that you live in Texas. Texas has always been a black hole of freight ,been cheap for the 36 years I've been around, no reason to go to Texas unless you live there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.