Six month Cargo Insurance ?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Verdel, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Verdel

Verdel Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2013
    I am looking to work only 6 months of the year and wondering what is the best way. Is it possible to stop the cargo insurance but maintain "NON TRUCKING" or other bobtail insurance and keep my registration and DOT and MC numbers active, while my truck is not used, parked on a storage lot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    In theory the moment you suspend your cargo and liability insurance your mc number gets suspended. In practice it probably takes a week or so for the feds to update but by law the insurance company must notify the fmcsa you no longer have coverage.

ibcalm19 Thanks this.
  4. Verdel

Oct 26, 2013
    The only way I found is to get another truck (Contractor) in the company to stay on the insurance all the time, then I can remove and add my truck as need it.

5. Opendeckin

Opendeckin Medium Load Member

May 20, 2018
    You can drop cargo insurance completely. Cargo insurance is not a legal requirement to maintain your authority. It's a customer requirement to haul their freight. The liability is the part that matters to the law.

6. Verdel

Oct 26, 2013
    I have heard that you can drop the Cargo and maintain other type of insurance for about ~ $100/monthly and your MC and DOT will be active...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.