Size Up on KAG (Kenan Advantage Group)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by frexican, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Sacred Feline

Sacred Feline Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Anywhere but FL
    I had not throught of looking at the Truck Stops for hauling fuel, thanks for that info and I will definately look into that.

Yeah I realise the OTR thing will fade but I do know it will never completely disappear, had such a great time out there.

"One cannot look back one must focus on the future..." :yes2557:

Thanks again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sacred Feline

Oct 17, 2007
    Anywhere but FL
    Well the Pilot, Loves & Flying J have positions but not in JAX FL..what a surprise..NOT! :biggrin_25510: There is a casual position in Dade City, to far from me.

I have them bookmarked and will check everyday, its all I can do right now.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  4. Biscuit75

Biscuit75 Road Train Member

Flying J will not be hiring as they are soon to be dissolved into Pilot. A couple guys I know that drive for Pilot have told me Pilot is going to pick and choose what Flying J drivers they want to keep. I applied to Pilot in the spring of 2009 and they decided to hire 3 other drivers. I found a different company (ended up being better) and now all 3 they hired back then have left. They need to replace those drivers, but they are holding off hiring at Pilot until they know whats happening with the merger. At least that's the word here.

When it comes to looking for a job in fuel DO NOT rely on what is posted on their website. You need to find the terminal manager, in Pilots case get a hold of the regional transportation manager, call the companies and find out if they are hiring. When it comes to fuel hauling it is not a job that is advertised all over.

Sacred Feline Thanks this.
  5. Sacred Feline

Oct 17, 2007
    Anywhere but FL
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I will give them a call but I wonder if they would even consider me with no fuel exp. esp when there will exp. Flying J drivers around, however I will call as all they can say is no.

I am curious about this merger because I remember when Pilot took over another Truck Stop chain (cannot remember the name) back in '03 and they got rid of the restaurant section, I wonder if they will do that with the J.. IMO Flying J has been going down hill for the past couple of years, the food used to be excellent, a bit expensive but great, now the food is crappy but it is still expensive...~lol~

6. tanker

tanker Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2008
    salem,or
    I have to agree with Biscuit on not relying on a website if there is an opening or not. If I wanted to get hired on with Pilot right now or any other truck stop to bring in their fuel this is what I would do. I would go down to the Pilot or whereever you want to get hired wait for a tanker to come in and talk to the driver.During the day a truck will come in every two hours. The lead driver at the local truck stop will sometimes have alot to do if you are hired or not. The timing might not be right but make sure to get phone numbers and leave yours. Fuel haulers are a fraternity I have been told by some of the senior drivers at our terminal say it reminds them of what OTR use to be.

7. Phantom 69

Phantom 69 Light Load Member

Aug 10, 2009
    SC
    Seems like KAG is experiencing a driver shortage..just checked their website and they're hiring everywhere..with a demand in a lot of areas..What's the deal?

8. jim-oh

jim-oh Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Toledo,oh
    In the toledo area where I work out of its because of driver retirement and just to much work.We have been working mandatory six days to keep up,have three in training now.
    In over four years that I have been here there have only been two drivers that quit. KAG just intituted a new pay plan in the toledo/lima and niles, MI area that for the efficient drivers is about a 20% pay increase.
    With that and depending on how you work it could be the highest paying fuel hauling job in these areas,I know for sure in toledo.
    I think they made a choice between being the biggest and paying like that or becoming union and letting it all go down the drain.
    Personally if your into tanker work and know that you dont want to haul fuel forever I dont know why you would apply any where else. Its nice to know that I can transfer any where in the country and keep everything that I worked here for.
    YEP,its true we have some real morons working for us but things are changing and we need good drivers.

9. Phantom 69

Aug 10, 2009
    SC
    Copy that..Being the biggest,i figured the pay was the same across the country..I hope buying up everything not bolted down don't come back and bite them..You see what's going on with YRC..

10. Sacred Feline

Oct 17, 2007
    Anywhere but FL
    Kenan has a shortage of drivers..??? Not in my area...heres my experience with them..

I applied to Kenan online just over a week ago, they phoned me back and sent out a paper application to fill in, which I did and faxed back to them the same day I got it. A few days later I phoned and spoke with the safety lady and she said it all looks good and all they were waiting on was some paperwork back from one of my previous employers and please call back on Monday (this was a thursday).

So first thing Monday morning I phone back and speak to the same Lady who informs me that due to the delay in my paperwork getting back to them from my previous employer all the positions have been filled and can I give them a call back in a couple of weeks....:biggrin_2551:...?? WTF ?? She would/could not tell me anything further....I have a near perfect MVR/DAC, one minor accident back in 03 where the trailer hit a concrete barrier at a truck stop, very minor. No criminal, no tickets...nothing !! Every company that I worked for would hire me back. So I don't understand. Sounds like a bunch of BS if you ask me.

Anyway I don't need them as I have now finally got a job after 4 months. I am not going to mention with who just yet as I don't want to jinx it, I will start a new thread on this company when I actually start orientation, however it is 5 nights a week - M to F, home every day and the weekends off and I also get to pull doubles - my favourite type of trailer !!. (It is not FedEx, UPS, Conway or any other big companies that have doubles.)

I am soooooooooo happy that I finally have a job. :biggrin_255::biggrin_25520::biggrin_25519:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  11. Phantom 69

Aug 10, 2009
    SC
    Happy Happy..Joy Joy :biggrin_25520:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.