Sizing up the plunge...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by The Fiddle, Sep 25, 2011.

1. The Fiddle

The Fiddle Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2011
    NWA
    I can certainly appreciate this advice. I'll assume this to be true as I've yet to sit behind the wheel of a rig and drive down the road all to myself. However, driving itself I have no problems with. It could probably be said I enjoy driving very much. My 45 minute daily drive is usually the best part of my day. Unless I'm tired enough to the point my eyelids are 60 lb weights, then it is no fun.

I agree whole-heartily.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Fiddle

The Fiddle Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2011
    NWA
    I was milling about looking for information on this when I suddenly had a bolt of obviousness hit me. Around here during the winter months after the sugar beet harvest there is a lot of hauling from the piles to the processing plants. I may look into this later this week and get some information on that and see where that goes (as they have night/weekend shifts).

4. Seebs

Seebs Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Ohio
    As someone who was in your shoes.

I'm 22. Ended up dropping out of college. Spend some time milling with jobs before finally deciding to pursue a dream in trucking.

Yes, I do love what I do. But at the same time, I was about 2 semesters from a degree. I do wish I had at least finished off my degree before doing this, that way in the event anything goes down hill down the road, I have the chance at something else to do.

Look at this way. Even if you do trucking and do great, one mess up could screw your career. Wouldn't it be nice to have a degree to fall back onto just in case?

Nycmex77 Thanks this.
  5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    The thing is, that a degree in just about anything, is better than no degree at all. There are a whole lot of companies, (I don't mean for driving,) that require a degree in something, anything, before they will even look at you now. I'm not saying it is right, I am saying it is the way it is.

I've known an awful lot of people with advanced degrees, that literally have nothing at all in the way of common sense. And yet they have been successful in their field. But don't ask them to change a flat tire, or to think a problem through that has nothing to do with their field.

But the degree is still important. You have no way of knowing what lies ahead of you. Any preparation you can make now while you are young, for later when you aren't young anymore is time well spent.

Who knows, maybe you and pops can go into the trucking business together. But get that education first!

The idea of doing the field runs while going to school is probably a good one, if you can stretch the day out enough that it doesn't interfere with your school work!

6. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Stay in school, get a degree, make money in what you've studied to be. Get your feet planted before you go looking for thrills.

You want an adventure? Join the Army, or go skydiving.

Nycmex77 Thanks this.
  7. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    You want adventure, Here's trucking 'Adventure',

Bumping a dock at a Walmart DC at 4am.
    Stepping out of the cab into a puddle of piss at the pump.
    A knock at the door at 2:30am by a 59yr old hooker.
    Sitting at truckstop in January unfreezing fuel lines.
    The 4th plate of microwave Cheezymac in 2 days.
    The red light at the scale.
    The only trailer left has flat tires...its 3am.
    Your next load is a 6 drop in NYC.
    The Swift driver just backed into you . . . again.
    The Swift driver doesn't speak english.
    Your girlfriend is 2 months pregnant, you haven't been home for 3 months.
    You just signed a lease with TranAm.
    Your new trainee is named Frank, Frank wears eye shadow.
    The Swift truck is passing the Werner truck and are both limited to 62mph.
    Tarping a lumber load in January in Wyoming.
    A Stevens truck blind side backing into the space next to you at 11pm at the TA.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
    dave26027 and Nycmex77 Thank this.
  8. Nycmex77

Nycmex77 Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2011
    NEW YORK,NY
    Your girlfriend is 2 months pregnant, you haven't been home for 3 months.

good one dryver :biggrin_25514:

9. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Yeah I would say stay in school. Course I would also say take the plunge. You gotta do what you love to do. I am a firm believer of doing what makes you the happiest. School would probably be the smarter thing to do but not if you are going toward a career in which you really don't want to do. Going to be tough to have a girl and a family if you choose trucking. If that isn't something in your near future then trucking maybe for you.

I guess either way if you don't like one or the other you could either go back to school or go back to trucking.

10. Fatback

Fatback Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Colchester, VT
    thats my dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Remember, it is a "short hop" from a "dream" to a "nightmare!":biggrin_2559:

BigJohn54 and Nycmex77 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.