Skills aquired from 88M Reserves?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Sok, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Sok

Sok Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I have a little over 2 years experience of local driving that is from a grocery distribution center. I'm thinking about adding more 'skills' by going into an Army Reserve Transportation company, although I'm not particularly sure what these skills would be. As for the cross-over of skills, I'm guessing I'd be more familiar with maintenance in large trucks.

I'm 23, by the way, making 16.50 per hour with the cap being 21.00 in 2 more years. Would I get a significant cut in pay if deployed? Before I go to a recruiter I figured it would be wise to get some info from someone who isn't trying to make a quota.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

not much of being an 88m translates to real world trucking

if deployed, no you would not , legaly , get a pay cut, but what does happen is the position you were in tends to go away....happened to quite a few guys in my unit when we were mobilized in '03.

if yer serious about joining, which i happen to think everyone should do at least 3 years active duty, pm me and ill give ya my cell....niether my wife or i are requirters, but you will get our honest opionon of being a soldier, even if it is only part time.

BTW...im a staff sargeant in the reserves, with 12 years of service

4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Most companies will not consider military driving as the same. You skills that you'll learn in the military will surely help you but you'll be lucky if a company recognizes those skills.

5. Iraqvet

Iraqvet Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Ashtabula Ohio
    Is this 2 years local driving in a tractor trailer?If so,then bein an 88 Mike wont teach you anything else really.The longest trailer we pull is a 40' flatbed.all the M 915's are automatic.They are basically freightliner FLD day cabs.as far as maintnence goes,you will just do a PMCS(preventive maintnence checks and services).Which is basically a pre trip.I didnt sign up as an 88 Mike,I was forced to get the MOS.They are hurting bad for them.We seen more action then most while we were there.If you wanna sign up for 88Mike,be prepared to go to Iraq asap.There is a 99% chance of goin,if you have that MOS.It isnt worth it if you just wanna get the skills.Convoys are not fun.I have seen some very nasty things happen in my time there out on those roads.And $16-21 an hour is good money from where I come from..Hey broncrider,you aint gonna pull him in with the ARAP program are you lol?My advice too you Sok,would be to stay where you are at,on american soil.And if you do wanna go to Iraq,I can hook you up with a guy at the civillian contracting company I am tryin to go over there for.Then you will actually get payed lol.

6. broncrider

whats that program?? is that the one where you are basicly a recruiter helper??? the extra 2k thing??

nope i was just planning on tellin him how much horsehockey he will have to look forward to.....hey im a ssg and i get to deal with more than my fair share!

7. Iraqvet

Oct 28, 2007
    Ashtabula Ohio
    Yeah lol..Since that program started,everyone is tryin to get anyone in lol.I was just pullin your leg though.We have a monthly 3-4 page heads up letter from my reserve unit.Our commander was sayin he helped put some one in and got his 2k bonus.He said " I didnt even know the kid,got his ssn#,and got him in the system".WHo gives their ssn# to some one they dont know,who contacted you over the phone lol?Just what we need,another person who dosnt think lol...Yeah I am a PFC..So you get to deal with horsehockey,and I get dealt it lol...

8. broncrider

we're in the same boat...you know them folks runnin around with shiney stuff on thier uniform?? yep i get it dealt too..........LOL

9. adam1973

adam1973 Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Downingtown, Pa

10. Iraqvet

Oct 28, 2007
    Ashtabula Ohio

11. MommaKay

MommaKay Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Green Bay, WI

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.