Skills review OR1

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by navypd, Mar 1, 2013.

1. navypd

navypd Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Orange Park, FL
    Heading to OR1 via Southwest tomorrow, In the OR1 schedule, it states skills review, just wondering what are some of those skills before heading out with a trainer. I assume, going out for a drive seeing how you grab gears and such.. backing? Pre-trip?

Hey..my motto has always been, Don't know if you Don't ask.
    Thanks in advance for any info,

V/r/r
    Navy-PD

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stlvance

stlvance Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2011
    st louis MO
    pre trip backing and ride along pretty much the normal stuff you would expect

navypd Thanks this.
  4. navypd

navypd Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Orange Park, FL
    thanks for info:

5. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    They don't expect perfection, they are looking to see if you have a basic understanding
    They want to see that you have the trailer going in the right direction when you back. Putting it in the hole is a plus, not putting it in is not a deal breaker. They will.come and help you.

navypd and pharrari Thank this.
  6. navypd

navypd Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Orange Park, FL
    Thanks Kmac, I should be okay, I actually haven't backed in a about 3 months or so, since retiring from Navy... i went thru CDL school while i was retirement leave, then had some transition to normal life things to take care of, i'm delayed a little bit, but still ready to go

KMac Thanks this.
  7. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    p.s. while curbing is never good, if you find yourself in a position that forces you... curb the trailer, curbing the steers will fail you. Curbing the trailer will have them taking you around the block and teaching you button hooks.

navypd Thanks this.
  8. navypd

navypd Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Orange Park, FL
    Lol... did the steers once here in jax, FL but that was because the POS volvo they had blew a tire while we were training and i of course panicked during the turn.

KMac Thanks this.
  9. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    So long as you can make 50% of your shifts, keep the truck/trailer off the sidewalks and don't run over grandma, you'll pass.
    If they see something that needs a little more help before heading out, they'll assign you to that station on the skills course on the hill. You will have two nights on the skills course at a minimum.
    Take your time, pay attention and you'll do fine.

pharrari and navypd Thank this.
  10. navypd

navypd Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Orange Park, FL
    Thanks, I'm sure I will do fine even after a few months off the pad.

11. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    Like they said, they will work with you.

Neither of my trainers wouldnt let me back up so I wasnt very good. I failed the backing test. The red shirt worked with me for a few minutes the next day. He watched me practice and saw that I had got the hang of it and signed me off without actually testing again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.