Slamming the tandem stop when sliding trailer

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nredfor88, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Hooking up to a heavy trailer I tend to tap the king pin a little rough sometimes.
    Other days it's as smooth as butter and you can hear the latch clink gently closed.

The dt12 in the freightliners are good 95% of the time but that 5% ...BANG "well I guess it's ####ing hooked now ain't it"

LoneRanger, Pamela1990 and gentleroger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Removed. Sorry, my comment didn’t pertain to yours.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I agree with all of the above. Some drivers are just new & are trying to learn. Some are just idiots & some just dont care. But there are also those new & improved, idiot proof, highly tested & proven.... half rigged, so called automatic transmissions.
    Those where, you push the accelerator, & push it some more, then a little more, then a little more.... then it shoots off like a bottle rocket & slams the king pin/5th wheel/dock.
    You know... the ones that the board of directors voted to put in so things wouldnt get torn up.

MIT and kylefitzy Thank this.
  5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I've left skid marks from the trailer before.

You have to get on the fuel to get it going, especially when there is a big weight differential, then the transmission doesn't want to stop even after you're on the brakes.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  6. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I’ll see your rookie mistake and raise you an experienced driver making a mistake by being complacent.
    I was pulling a stretch rgn that extend from 48’ to 68’ to load longer tall cargo.
    B2D51BE0-899F-43E0-AB60-FB76728C0B21.jpeg The night before I checked to make sure the trailer would open and close at the port the next morning. All went well and I flipped the air switch to lock and went to bed. The next morning I’m pulling into the port 100 miles away and it is just starting to get light out. That’s when I noticed my trailer had grown about 15 feet because while I turned the air switch to lock the pins, I didn’t visually verify that they actually locked. That will get your attention.

I bet that’s mostly what it is. My old eaton auto shift sucked at backing smoothly.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It's 100% certain that the Stevens driver cranks the panding gear down and then another 500 turns so his trailer can be a ski jump. EVERY new driver leaves the landing gear too high. If the landing gear feet are touching the ground before you separate the truck and trailer YOU ARE LEAVING IT TOO HIGH>

RockinChair, nredfor88 and bryan21384 Thank this.
  8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Not necessarily because I crank it all the way down to the ground to; once the the hissing starts, then that leaves the trailer at just the right height, so the next driver don't even have to dump the air to get under it. When drivers do what you described, that's when the keep cranking, then the next driver tries to get under it and the kingpin goes right over the 5th wheel. Makes me wanna curse the whole human race. I did, however, go to get a preload once, and the trailer was so low I couldn't get under it. I managed to flag down a yard dog to elevate it for me. The previous driver must've left the landing gear 2 feet off the ground I swear lol

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If the landing gear are touching the ground before you separate you are leaving the gear too high. After you drop the trailer the air bags on the trailer continue to deflate and this causes the nose of the trailer to go up. The dufus dropping the trailer will never know he screwed the next driver because he is gone. Until your job is to pick up those dropped trailers from OTR drivers you will likely never notice how big this problem is. I didn't until I was the driver picking up those trailers. We had drivers injured monthly due to high trailers. Every time we got new OTR drivers working with us picking up the OTR trailers we witnessed EVERY one of them doing this. EVERY one of them would argue, because they never stuck around to see the next driver hooking to their trailer. Once you had them back under a trailer dropped as they dropped it and then back under the trailer dropped as I described they understood the problem. They never admitted they were doing it wrong but they switched to our way of doing things.

RockinChair and nredfor88 Thank this.
  10. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Reading through all of this it’s obvious none of you pull tankers!
    Slamming king pins and worse, not getting under the trailer straight bends and jams the landing gear. You can always tell the new drivers are who come off of vans! Luckily there are no tandems to slide!

11. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

Truth!

In my home yard, dad's size 12 boot up your ### would be all the motivation required to be gentle on equipment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.