Sleep Apnea Test Prior to Issuance of A Medical Certificate

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Wombat63, Feb 6, 2020.

1. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Mind over matter driver.
    if you dont mind, it dont matter!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackjack55

Blackjack55 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Iv'e just went thru the same process because of my neck size.its nothing but. A scam and i get less sleep now because of a mask on my face.
    The Dot DOES NOT REQUIRE this process.Its left up to the doctor.Or in my case a know it all phy assistant. There is nothing you can do except do the sleep study and hope you pass.

BUMBACLADWAR and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Blackjack55

Blackjack55 Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I did mine at home because its cheaper for the insurance co

5. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Its actually left up to the company you work for. They direct the testing facility to test for it or not is what I was told.

In regards to it being a scam, I dont believe it is. I sleep better than I ever have on the machine. I have a mask that just covers my nostrils and I hardly know its there.

6. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Thank that Physician's assistant! Untreated, Severe sleep apnea can take 8 years off your life, not to mention the quality of life as result of the poor sleep. Some of the consequences include memory loss, chronic fatigue, cardiac issues (A-FIB), stroke, hypertension, decreased immunity to common virus. This is just a small list of potential complications

Tanksmuch, rachi and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    It’s not just up to the company you work for. I work for myself. I did not send me down to do a sleep study.
    Look at the Fmsca website on sleep apnea to see the numerous reasons they recomend a sleep study for. Just having a cdl is one of them.
    I was flagged to do one because l’m a
    1) white male
    2) over 45 years old
    3)that has a naturally large neck (because i’m German decent)
    4)do to genetics has had to use bp meds
    5) still have my tonsils
    6) and most of all have a cdl

It’s not always about weight.

Aamcotrans and rachi Thank this.
  8. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    They are not doing the sleep study bs to anyone that drives a non-cdl commercial vehicle (26,000 or under) because they know they have no license to hold “hostage”. It is not about your health and safety. That reeks of scam.

Road*Runner Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    This is one thing I wrestle with almost daily. What is life? Or better yet what is quality of life?

I'll be ###### if I am fed and watered while snipped and washed by others in a warehouse or nursing home at 90 staring at 4 walls. Forget that. My pain levels increase annually as the skeleton degrades significantly. I see also other issues evolving. I intend to live well, burn bright as a star and go out when times up. But I do not go looking for it nor do I intend to be here at 100. There is no point. Everyone talks about long life. Well... thats not living if you cannot stay free.

There is no sleep schedule. When the body wants sleep, I go to sleep until rested day or night. Just like trucking. With one exception. I don't have to wait until next week to sleep anymore. So Im getting all that back.

rachi Thanks this.
  10. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Pay attention to some of the questions they are asking you for the physical now. Like your family history. Has anyone had bp, heart issues, cancer, etc.
    have you had jaw or other oral surgeries
    Do you still have tonsils. what does that have to do with a standard dot physical to do your job?

Aamcotrans, nctraveler69 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh yes indeed.

I am very accustomed to interdiction questions today from strange doctors vs pain diversion, abuse and sales etc.

These would be additional questions from a DOT doc that would raise red flags pretty fast, he will get answers such as they chopped out the tonsils when I was a child. thats been gone a long time. I fail to see what it has to do with this DOT exam. And so forth.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.