Sleeping at truck stops

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by asphaltreptile311, Jul 5, 2016.

1. prisonerofthehighway

prisonerofthehighway Light Load Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Rapids, Ia
    Probably beating a dead horse here with this response. Believe it or not that "noise" , especially with a refer is actually a good thing. Having pulled refers for 20+ years I've come to find out a long time ago that that noise from the refer is a great vehicle alarm. Let me explain, if your hauling a high dollar load of Hershey Ice Cream, and you have to run your refer on continuous then if all of a sudden no noise, bam your wide awake. It's the same with any refer load really. If I'm sleeping and the load can be on start stop I turn it on cont. for this same reason. There are alot of butt heads out there that have a sick sense of humor or are just plain mean that thinks it's funny to turn a refer off either not knowing or caring how much it could potentially cost that driver. If you drive your full 11 hours it would amaze me if you couldn't get to sleep next to a 747 taking off lol. As the other poster mentioned, you eventually get use to it and you don't even notice the noise. Personally I think it's worse these rookies that drive through the lot with their engine brakes on and straight pipes.

Infosaur Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BostonTanker

BostonTanker Road Train Member

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    I've slept to gunshots, police sirens, and when I lived in e. Boston, the airplanes flew over my house so low, you could almost touch the bellies on their descent to Logan. The windows they make for that are awesome, but when you have them open, holy crap the noise.
    Reefers suck still lol

4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Just remember, without them there sucky reefers yer ice cream would melt before getting to the store!:D

Short Fuse EOD and BostonTanker Thank this.
  5. BostonTanker

BostonTanker Road Train Member

May 2, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Very true . Just park away from me lol.

Big Don Thanks this.
  6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    When I drove for CR England. They told us we could turn off the reefer for up to 6 hours. That the insulation on the reefer was supposed to be that good. Granted I never had the chance to test it.

7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    ProTip: If you're trying to sleep while idling your truck, engage the engine fan override. Then the fan will stay on, and it won't jolt the truck by kicking in and out.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Heck when I was a teenager I lived 3 houses down from an ambulance station. Once asleep I wake when rested, or need to use the bathroom. My wife likes to joke that I could sleep through a gun fight and not notice. :)

-Steven

9. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    You will get used to noise. I used to live in Altadena Ca. There was a hospital near moms house off of Washington Ave. It bothered me for about a week, sirens and incoming helicopters. After that, would only notice it if some one made mention of it.

So noise at a truck stop? You will get used to it.

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Oh god, I'd buy a pin lock from the T/A and watch him suffer! Probably the best $50 I could spend.

Kitty40 and tech10171968 Thank this.
  11. James Johnson

James Johnson Light Load Member

May 27, 2017
    Doesn't bother me I have sound proof windows. I wasn't comfortable when I left my wife and my kids. Put I hang stuff that my kids have made. I hang where I can see it and everybody else, but I don't think they care.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.