Sleeping in truck in winter

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by OpenRoadGuy, Jun 12, 2010.

1. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    As well as the ### HOLES that come up with all the no idle laws and the director of CARB. I would love to see them go with no heat or a/c.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    best #### apu's made.
    The one on my tractor, 8,000 hrs, on it and have only replaced the altornator.
    And where it is mounted on the tractor, there is no way it affects the turning radius. Thermal king has the largest repair support out of any of the apu's on mthe maket.
    My truck has the winterized kit, to where it's plumbed in the engine coolant system, keep in warm in the chil of winter.
    1,000 watt inverter gives me the power for the tv, the laptap, the gaming console.
    Also plumbed in to the trks 12 volt system and monitors when the batteries drop to 11.9 volts. It starts up, charges the batteries.

In the summers, the A/C kicks on, it's recomended to close sleeper curtains cause it's not really desinged to cool the entire cab. I just use a wrap around curtain on the windshield, to help keep the heat out.

free spirited1 Thanks this.
  4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    When I first started with this company I had a Volvo with a ThermoKing Tripac. It does a good job except when I spent the weekend in Minnesota in -15 weather.
    I had to bundle up to stay warm.

Then I got a new Peterbilt and it has it's own factory bunk heater. They transferred the Tripac over but I still had the factory heater. Back to MN I went. It was -15 with a wind chill of -35. I cranked the heater up and I was toasty warm. I still ran the tripac to keep the engine warm and even though the reefer was empty I kept it running too.

5. thelastamericanhippy

thelastamericanhippy Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    jacksonville, fl
    There's a whole new group of new drivers out there.................

hope they bring warm clothes and sleeping gear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    What heater does the factory install in a new Peterbilt?

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I had to look,lol. I had a manual in the glovebox luckily.

It's an Airtronic by Espar Heater Systems.

They have two models D2 and D4.

They put out 7500 btu and 13,650 btu respectively. I assume I have the bigger one. It'll put the heat out.

Fuel consumption is 0.07 gal/hr and 0.13 gal/hr. So one gallon a night ain't bad.

Manual says it's good to -40 degree's.

www.espar.com

Edited, looking at dealer info, they have them at Peterbilt and Kenworth.

terrylamar Thanks this.
  8. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I am assuming, because the factory installed the Espar in you PB and you later switched the TriPac over that I could have and Esper installed for this Winter and then next Spring have the TriPac install with no compatibility issues?

9. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    for those really nasty cold nights i would have the truck running and the espar on--then another hose from the espar outlet that would go under the blankets to preheat the bed---always nice and toasty at bedtime

10. Gitty

Gitty Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    in my truck
    My company provide apu tripak thermokings, with 1800 watts inverters. I have a electric blanket, matress cover that heats, a sleeping bag good for 30 below, carry plenty of winter clothes and food in truck just incase I get stuck somewheres. I also have the hand warmers and feet warmers just incase. Like a boy scout Im always prepared!!! BTW my apu keeps my truck ac working good now too.

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Be prepared.

One night it got down to 28 below. The APU had the temp at 73 at 9. By 10 it was dropping.

At 5 am when it died. It was 19 in the truck.

Trucu would only idle for 5 minutes before it shut off. It took over an hour and a half to defrost the windshield.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.