Sleeping medication

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by number1usJoe, Jan 28, 2007.

1. number1usJoe

number1usJoe Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2006
    If ambien is not allowed in trucking what is acceptable I have anxiety and a problem with insomnia that is managed with ambien.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stylicho

stylicho Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2007
    I was wondering the same thing. I dont like using sleep aides over the long term but I use a tylenol sleep pill or something similar every once in awhile.

4. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    who told you ambien isn't allowed.........???

did you post a question on another board and thought you could just drop that and start a new one....???

if this is your first posting about ambien, again, who told you.......??

5. littlebit

littlebit Light Load Member

May 27, 2006
    I did. Ambien is one of those medications that most companies frown upon. There are to many side effects and taken reguarly a person can become addicted to it.

6. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    is it classified by DOT, or just "known" as a no-no....???

this is the first time i'm hearing this. i know from the commercials you are not supposed to "operate machinery" during the time you have taken the medication, and after a 10 hour break shouldn't a person be good to go..??

just curious. i need more info please.

7. littlebit

May 27, 2006
    My partner explained this to him in another thread. I will try to explain it like she did. Ambien is considered a hypnotic drug along with several others. It can impair your ability to drive even after you have slept all night. It is not a good medication to be on will driving. I am not sure if the dot has added it yet I will have to go looking around. I do however know that at alot of companies it is a big no-no.

8. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    if you can find that original posting from your friend and link it here (or PM me), i will gladly go back and read that. as long as its not DOT listed though.........that person "might" still be able to take it, but i'd strongly suggest a doctor to say so (maybe a DOT certified doctor?), not us, wouldn't you somewhat agree...??

9. littlebit

May 27, 2006
    I agree but I doubt he is going to be told it is ok. I will pm you what she posted give me a minute to go find it.

10. pro1driver

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    list the meds you take (by perscription from your doctor). you may also have to take the bottles with you as well for proof they are your meds and not someone else's. since its not a DOT listed medication, ask YOUR DOCTOR, as he/she will have better answers. even another solution for you would be to check for a DOT Certified doctor, and ask him/her for their opinion, but of course, you might have to pay for a visit too......

you might end up taking an "over the counter" med, again, which should be advised by YOUR DOCTOR.

11. harleydog

harleydog Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Just where can a person find a list of doctor prescribed drugs that the DOT has listed as no can take or out of service during the period a person is on them. I have searched the CFR data base and did not find anything.

Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.