Slick roads 101

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TripleSix, Feb 21, 2015.

1. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    This thread has some great info in it. I just didn't want to see it degenerate into heated personal attacks and wind up getting closed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Hey gang, we're trying to help the rookies with winter driving and the power divider and lockers. If we can aid one person new to trucking to become a competent driver, then mission accomplished. When a thread gets locked, it can't be bumped back up for the next season, and all info gets buried. Let's stay on point on this thread, okay?

But you gear heads that's enjoying the technical discussion on how the power divider works, here's the challenge. Jack up your drive axles, and produce a video. Show the difference between an open diff and a locker. Show what happens when you engage a power divider (I wouldn't do this with the wheels spinning with the rears in the air though). Then have your banter. I am sure the mods will allow that. They may even crown you King Gearhead. Hail to the King!

Speaking of that, had a driver who went home for a week and left his truck out in the cold for Christmas. He went back to work, had to get help starting the truck, but then realized that the brakes were frozen on the truck. Not wanting to lay in the snow, he engaged his power divider to try to break the wheels free. 550 HP engine. You guessed it...BOOM!

Driver calls me up asking why would one side of one axle spin in the opposite direction of the other when he's trying to drive. "Hmmm, that's a $4000 question." I asked him why didn't he crawl underneath the truck with his hammer and he told me that he had gotten lazy.

DoneYourWay, Lepton1 and wsyrob Thank this.
  4. randomname

randomname Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2014
    Well, I think the thing to take from all of this diff talk is that it is OK to engage the power divider(IDL) when moving as long as both axles are turning the same speed, correct? So say you're motoring up an icy hill at 35mph, and the drives start to spin up, simply roll off throttle to get both axles coasting at same speed for a second, put trans in neutral, engage IDL, and put shifter back in hole and gently release clutch. Right?
    I would think that if the two drive axles are spinning at very different speeds it would be quite possible to shear off an engagement pin, or whatever the IDL uses to get power. Now, my question is, can the diff lock( if so equipped) be engaged in motion if the left and right side tires are rotating same speed? Or does it depend on what type of diff( lockers, etc) you have?
    This is good info so we don't get the stopped-on-icy-hill situation.

5. pullin trains

pullin trains Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2015
    Sparks, Nv
    you can't engage when wheels are spinning..if your wheels are turning at different speeds they must be spinning..as for taking out of gear? No need to just don't have your foot on the excelerator .so when you flip the switch..let off on the power..wait a second or two for the power divider to engage..and away you go..best time to engage or disengage is when you are at a stop...

randomname and Dragon88 Thank this.
  6. Dragon88

Dragon88 Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2014
    That wouldn't have broke the power divider, if that was the case the shops in Canada would have a line up to the border with broken power dividers.

The power divider (axle-interlock) can be engaged and left in at all times, it can be engaged when the truck is in motion, never engage when the wheels are spinning on ice, or in mud.

The lockers (locking differentials) can be engaged when the truck is in motion, but will make steering difficult in slippery or muddy conditions, never engage when the wheels are spinning on ice, or mud.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    randomname Thanks this.
  7. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    My thought process on the power divider breaking in this scenario. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Driveline is not turning at all, as truck is stationary (brakes frozen/locked).
    Driver activates power divider (which is merely a 3rd "lockable/unlockable" differential between the axles).
    Tho the switch is activated, complete "locked engagement" is not actually complete, as all moving parts are stationary. (same as where you can't get truck in gear at stoplight, and requires you to let the clutch out just enough to drop the gear into its slot (ie. 100% gear mesh)).

Now you have full torque being applied to driveline BEFORE the power divider had a chance to fully lock/engage.
    That's like revving your engine and dumping your clutch before 1st (or whichever) gear is fully meshed. End result: BAM/BROKE.

8. Dragon88

Dragon88 Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Maybe the power-divider was already stressed from misuse in the past.

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    He busted a diff, not the power divider. Wheels were locked and wouldn't turn. Driver locked in the power divider to break free one of the wheels that wouldn't turn. I wasn't there, but he called me and asked what is the culprit when you try to drive forward, and half of 1 axle spins backward. That's the sure sign of a busted open diff. Normally, the repair rate starts at $4000.

I had to explain to my friend that the higher HP the motor, the easier it is to break the drivetrain components. My company had a 745 HP C16 powered tri-drive that they used to pull their 19 axle. 18 speed + 2 speed aux. Powerful truck. The problem that they had with it was that most company drivers that they put behind the wheel would break the drivetrain. You learn as an owner operator really quick to be extremely easy on a truck, because repairs come out of your pocket. I'm not knocking company driver, just stating that you see more company drivers taking off in too high a gear, revving up and dumping the clutch. Cant do that with a big motor. Guaranteed to grenade any drivetrain.

This was my friend's first truck. His first ride ever with over 500 hp. He didn't know. I didn't ask what exactly he did, but I would bet money that he engaged the power divider, revved the motor and dumped the clutch. Once you do it and grenade something that you have to fork money out to repair, it changes you. He had been home a few weeks for the holiday, and his first load for 2015, he gets a $4000 repair bill. That hurts.

KW Cajun Thanks this.
  10. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    As my "trainer" told me, when I was training for my class A.
    The best tool you have in the truck is the one between your ears.

Use it wisely, if that means parking for a few hours do it.
    Or if you can reasonably roll at a slower speed comfortably have at it.

11. RetiredUSN

RetiredUSN Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    1" of snow here in Virginia Beach/Norfolk yesterday...... and the area goes stupid......... over 100 accidents yesterday. I live 5-10 minutes from work and it took me a hour and a half to get home.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.