Slick roads 101

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TripleSix, Feb 21, 2015.

1. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    A bit off topic but a good winter tip.. When driving in heavy snow or ice fog you can get a touch of snow blindness from running your brights or cheaper moose/road lights from the glare reflecting back also if someone's stopped or broken down on road you will see their lights sooner if yours are on dim ..only real spot lights with a very good point of aim work in the snow without bad glare but are pricey to buy.. I've seen many guys in storms just drive off road or stop after they've been running brights for awhile because they can no longer make out where the road is

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Somehow your name and avatar, together with this post, gave me a good chuckle.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    High beams ought to be illegal anyway. If you can't see at night, don't drive at night. Leave the dadgum high beams shut off.

5. pullin trains

pullin trains Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2015
    Sparks, Nv
    Guess you've never driven in open range..or where animals are on or near the road.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If nobody is ahead of me I drive with high beams, partly for this very reason. While some folks complain about getting "white line fever" at night I stay busy scanning to the sides of the road for eyeballs, scanning for patches of black ice or for potholes or irregularities in the road surface. High beams have made the difference more times than I can count.

Since I have a habit of running with high beams at night I've made it a habit to switch to low beams whenever someone is approaching or if I'm following someone. I'll shut 'em down with a mile or two on the approach or when following.

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    I can see where I'm going just fine with the low beams. There have been times I've been fighting the urge to kill the headlights altogether and just drive by the moonlight when some dillweed coming at me can't figure out how to dim his friggin' high beams. People run those stupid things at dusk before it's even late enough to be required to have their headlights on, shining in the mirrors as they come up behind you. Why? Seriously, if you can't see at night, don't drive at night. When you blind me with your high beams, it makes me want to stop my truck blocking the road, get out with a hammer in my hand, and dim your headlights for you. I haven't done that (...yet...), but by golly do I ever WANT to. High beams are one of the most unnecessary pieces of required equipment ever put on a vehicle...

And yes, the deer can be pretty thick around here. I don't need high beams to see them.

8. pullin trains

Feb 16, 2015
    Sparks, Nv
    Don't know where you drive..deer aren't my problem..wild horses,pigs,cattle,donkeys,drunks walking down the middle of the road..and most trucks don't have their headlights aimed right as it isn't covered anymore with cvsa..or they are new style headlights..also even during the day I drive with my headlights on for others to see me on two lane roads..you may just drive freeways..but my state only has 2..and one needs to mellow out before they have a vapor lock.and guess you've never driven off the pavement..there we get to use what ever up to and over 1000,000 candlepower..

9. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    I don't drive on the big road unless I have to. Spend most of my time on 2-lanes, and yes, I do venture off pavement regularly. Site work, mines & quarries, access roads, all in a day's work.

If you can't see at night, don't drive at night.

10. pullin trains

Feb 16, 2015
    Sparks, Nv
    So what does this do with headlights? You haven't put down where you travel?

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

May 7, 2011
    I travel wherever the paying freight takes me...and then I go home.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.