Slick roads 101

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TripleSix, Feb 21, 2015.

1. pullin trains

pullin trains Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2015
    Sparks, Nv
    Just another think they are..typical..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EverywhereMan

EverywhereMan Medium Load Member

May 28, 2013
    The North
    Yeah I used to run to the Bombardier plant from Mississauga all the time and I actually miss it during the summertime. Wasn't a fan of the lost cell and radio reception (until I bought XM) but I just enjoyed the drive. I almost smoked a moose around Longlac around midnight when I met an oncoming truck on a straight stretch of road. Maybe I was tired or something but my eyes were straining to see the road against the glare of his lights, all of a sudden Bullwinkle is standing in the middle of the road and I had nowhere to go. Thankfully it jittered away into the brush and all that was left to do was change the underwear.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I told you, I haul whatever somebody is willing to pay me to haul, from wherever I need to go to pick it up, to wherever I need to go to deliver it. I don't place limits on where I'm willing to go. If the money is right, I'll haul anything anywhere. I might have to drive forward....

....backward....

....on slick roads....

....or no roads at all....

...it doesn't really matter to me. It's what I do, and I do it quite well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    Lepton1 and TripleSix Thank this.
  5. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Pullin Trains.....He is answering you with as much information as you need.
    Otherwise its none of your business where or for whom he works.

This needs to end NOW. OR the mods will CLOSE an otherwise good thread.

TripleSix and Pedigreed Bulldog Thank this.
  6. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    I think it's getting close to the time of year to bring this thread to the top for the new winter drivers. So here is a bump.

7. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    The highways that are always snowed in have drivers that seem to be better in those conditions. Be extra careful in place like Dallas and Oklahoma City or Atlanta when ice appears. Also if you can time it to avoid the rush hour effects on those towns do. Indianapolis at 730 AM in ice is terrible. I was slowly moving down an on ramp when my trailer tried to pass me on the left. No way to stop it. I knew to hit my clutch which brought the cab back in front of the trailer and guided it down. Should have stayed until late.

8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    just don't be doing 45 mph. specially the new guys.

i've seen a lot of BRASS BALLS go flying in to oncoming traffic. not to mention. youtube is full of real live action vids.

i'm with one of the posts. 35 i can handle but only for so long. after that. i'm parking till daylight. if doppler shows i'm in for a long stretch.

9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Right now I'm on an extending 10 and maybe 34, and too far into the adult beverages to go back through this thread to see what I wrote, but at risk of repeating myself:

Especially for newer drivers, the old adage that you should park it if the conditions aren't good doesn't apply if you have nowhere to SAFELY park.

There WILL be times you get into conditions that you think are beyond your control. It is on YOU to control them UNTIL you can find a safe place to park.

In the world of mountaineering and rock climbing we talked about the concept of "point of commitment", the point in the climb that you suddenly realize that you can no longer descend, you HAVE to go up. When driving a big rig you will often find yourself in this kind of situation, when you start out with an ice storm safely a couple of hundred miles away and suddenly it is on you and there is NO safe place to pull over. You WILL need to learn how to safely drive in these situations. You might think you are overextended and beyond your capabilities, but you will need to find a way to keep the shiny side up and the wheel side down, and get to a safe haven.

Some tips:

1. Keep a SOFT grip on the steering wheel. Bad things start with a death grip.

2. Keep relaxed "noodle arms" so you can feel the road.

3. EVERY transition in momentum, be it throttle, brake, or steering wheel, should be GRADUAL.

At risk of offending those who's job it is to run orientation's, you CAN use the jake brake in slick conditions. Just don't start using it maximum, set the jake selector to the lowest setting AFTER the jake is engaged you can turn it to medium or high. Be prepared to immediately cancel the jake and rely on only service brakes or throttle for control if you feel the tractor start to yaw (jackknife) or feel or see the trailer start to get around to one side or the other. Many experienced drivers in Wyoming and other snow "blessed" states leave the jake on all the time in all conditions.

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Apparently after that fluster cluck in Atlanta last year, chains are now required in GA in the winter. Greeeeaaat.

Now I have to carry around 20 lbs. of equipment I refuse to use. My boss an I have an agreement, if it's ever so bad *I* can't get through, it's probably to dangerous to be out.

(Veteran of the northeast, 24 winters and counting!)

tsavory Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    it don't bother me to chain up. i'd rather be moving and making money then sitting for who knows how long.

i have my limits just like everyone else. but i'm not going to sit for days, as i've seen happen.
    if i can get through, do what i need to do and get out. i'm going.

4 of us took loads to seattle. 3 sat in the rest area in oregon waitng for the snow to stop. from monday to the following monday. i went in and delivered, picked up, and came back out went to albuquerque, delivered, picked up. and was home by friday while those other 3 trucks were still sitting in oregon.

while i understand the mentality that no one wants to chain. i have no desire to be camping out if i don't have to. i'm going home. no if's and's or butt's. if i have to throw chains. so be it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.