Slick roads 101

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TripleSix, Feb 21, 2015.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    See, that's the whole purpose of this thread. It's not whether you want to or not, it's knowing HOW to do it. If the roads gets slick, and you want to park, PARK IT! The problem is if the roads get slick, you have to make it to the parking lot. Then, no one behind you can either. You are a hazard to everyone on the road.

So they're requiring you guys to carry chains in Georgia. Everyone was all upset when that goofball governor blamed the huge gridlock on the drivers. I went through there, so don't tell me it can't be done. Not trying to have a peter contest, but if you, as a driver, do not know how to put on tire chains, you shouldn't be allowed to operate a commercial vehicle. Didn't say you have to use them, just know how to use them. There is a difference.

It's like everything else...the jake brake, the power divider, lockers, trailer hand brake, the gears...it's all part of the truck. The debate isn't on when and where to use them, but knowing HOW to use them. If you don't know how, you are a hazard to everyone else and should not be driving a commercial vehicle.

Coming out of the mountains, I saw a hand smoking his brakes. " get that speed down once more, drop another gear, jake full power, and turn on your engine fan."

Engine fan?

Yes. Might be the little extra drag on your engine rpms that you need to keep you from being a runaway. When you see these guys running downhill can't tell whether or not there is a fire, that gets scary. Gear down! There's more than just you on the road. It's just old habit, but I creep down the mountains. Want to go around? Go right ahead. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all. I will still wish you safe travels. I don't care to see your peter, and I don't want you looking at mine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    And don't forget to roll those windows down for that extra resistance. On a side note: When I first started running 105,500 GVW trucks in the mountains the 40 ton trucks would heckle me about going slow off the 6% 5 mile grades. I'd reply that if they'd like to give it a try, no takers............25,000 lbs more makes a huge difference in descending big grades.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    TripleSix, magoo68, misterG and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.