Sliding rail issue.

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by HighwaySuperTramp, Feb 24, 2019.

1. HighwaySuperTramp

HighwaySuperTramp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    This may seem like a bit of a dumb question, but I am fairly new to flatbed so I might as well ask to see if there's any tips or tricks.

I'm running a 53 foot center axle lift flatbed with sliding winch rails on both sides of the trailer, all rails have permanently affixed winches and hooks that slide up and down the rail.

My question is, how do you guys keep your rails clean so that your winches will slide? I am having a hell of a time trying to get my stuff sliding driving in all this snow and crap. Or is it one of those things I just have to live with?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Nothing you can do. With mud and dirt it isn’t that bad but with ice and snow it really sucks. You can buy de-icer spray and such but I usually get the narrow end of my winch bar and bash out the snow and ice.

4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Melt it out with a bottle torch, wire brush the winch channel out real good and spray it down with either pam or teflon spray to keep the next round from sticking. Repeat as needed.

HighwaySuperTramp Thanks this.
  5. HighwaySuperTramp

HighwaySuperTramp Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2015
    ####ing mint!

6. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I have found that Dawn dishwashing liquid works ok.

7. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Thats what i bathe in. They claim it cuts grease and im the greasiest thing i own. Plus i dont smell like a buttermilk daffodil or feel like i just lathered in sunblock after.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Thats one of the annoyances of flatbed, when them sliding winches get stuck... I grab my winch bar and start poundin the winches til lthey break loose.. Then i slide it back n forth as far as it goes, stays clean durin the summer but the slush and road salt that stuff is nasty no real good way to keep em from gunking up.. I guess u could invent something it would probably make u alot of money

beastr123 and HighwaySuperTramp Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.