Sliding winch tracks on flatbed trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by imasaluki, Aug 22, 2009.

1. imasaluki

imasaluki Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2008
    I've searched the internet and this website for the answer I'm looking for, but no success. Here's the question.

On a flatbed trailer there is usually a sliding winch track on one or both sides of the trailer that allows you to position your straps where you need them to secure the freight. On this sliding track, there are bolts that block the movement of the winches: one at each end (to keep the winches from falling off) and two other bolts that are to keep you from positioning winches directly over tires. The pupose of the latter bolts are obvious, but by blocking winches over the tires, it also blocks areas where winches/straps would be safe to place. For example, the first bolt that restricts the winches over the drive tires is about 8-10 feet (I didn't measure) from the front of the trailer. I would like to run a winch forward and place it over the area between the drive tires so I don't have to use multiple 2 in. ratchet straps or a chain. The same thing applies for the bolt near the rear. I would like to remove these bolts.

Anyways, to wrap this up... is it legal to remove those bolts that restrict the winches from sliding to areas over the tires? This is a brand new, company-owned, Transcraft, 53 ft aluminum flatbed trailer. If somebody could point me to a regulation that says it is illegal to modify/remove such bolts, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    i wouldn't worry about it it's not illegal

imasaluki Thanks this.
  4. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Its not illegal to remove the bolts but here is why they are there for. If you get winches over your drive tires (more so on the back drive axle) it is vary possible to get it hung in them. If your truck has a somewhat high profile 5thwheel and say 22.5 tires more than likley it wont happen, a normal profile 5th wheel with 24.5 tires, it can happen. Say you make a turn in to a parking lot and its a little on the uphill as soon as your truck levels off the trailer is still coming up the hill and a winch will get vary close to the rear tire if it over it. I have pins in my track that stop my winches just about at the rear of the frame of the truck. If I need a strap over my drive tires I use my 4" hand ratchets, that way I keep the winches off my tires and my half finders. Two or three 4" hand ratchets are alot cheaper than a drive tire and tore up winch track.

imasaluki Thanks this.
  5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    They also make a portable winch that snaps into the state pocket. The winch goes above the S/P that way if you don't want to mess with portable ratchets you don't have too.

imasaluki Thanks this.
  6. imasaluki

imasaluki Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Thanks guys.

07-379 Pete, I was thinking the same as you. I run an 08 Volvo 670 with 22.5 tires... I would never place a winch directly over the tire, but I would place one in the section over and in between the drives. My company only provides us with2 inch ratchet straps and I don't trust them like a I do a 4 inch strap. So, unless I buy my own 4 inch ratchets, they're not an option.

I really just wanted to know if it is illegal to remove/modify the bolts from the winch track. Another guy in the Legal section kind of steered me in the "not illegal" direction.

7. imasaluki

imasaluki Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2008
    NoTarps4Me (I like that name!), do you have a link to the product you are talking about?

8. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Mine doesn't have those bolts in the middle but it's a drop deck with three separate sections of rail so I know how aggravating it is using the small straps. I've got 24.5's but I think my trailer sits higher than most.

[​IMG]

9. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    No I have 6 of them on my truck. I will go get my truck this weekend and take a pic of one to show you what they look like tho. Normally my truck is with me, but is on the other side of the state. Had to be put in the shop and I came home.

10. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I tried to send a pic of one that went to moderation. I saved this pic this is what one looks like. I will pm you with the link.
    [​IMG]

11. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    kajidono mine is about like yours also....but I just cant take that chance lol. I do know that it will wipe out a half finder, full finders wont have a chance either lol. In the pic that is as close to my drive tire as I will let it get.

Attached Files:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.