Slim pickins for local jobs with little experience..

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sventvkg, Jan 30, 2021.

1. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Been applying for about 3 weeks and have had 3 interviews on scores of applications. There are tons of jobs advertised constantly but they all seem to require experience. Dudes like me seem to be shut out. I’ve applied to every job I’ve seen that I remotely fit on every job board. Will NOT do OTR. Many companies are hitting me up and it’s not on the docket. Any ideas? Need tractor trailer experience to move up so straight truck jobs are a waste of time.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Where you at? I turned down 3 local jobs in my little Colorado town, because I'm retired. They can't find anyone to work. No experience is a nail in the gears. With insurance today, employers just can't take a chance on someone not qualified. Maybe a dock job and work into driving.

austinmike, 77fib77 and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  4. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    As I understand it, getting into trucking typically requires 1 year OTR, it's like a rite of passage in this indstry. Otherwise your almost gonna have to know somebody who can pull some strings. If your in a rural area, you can likely get into Ag stuff without experience.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Have you checked food service or beer or soda distributors? Hard work at times but they hire new drivers a lot.

tscottme, MOBee and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  6. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    local isn't always all its cracked up to be. Pretty long days, and simply home to sleep. I'd be open to at least a regional job. Hard to be so picky just starting out

7. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    To counter a couple of common falsehoods stated here about local driving...

I don’t know of any local driving jobs that require OTR experience. Some local jobs simply require experience driving a tractor-trailer and some will hire right out of trucking school with a shiny new cdl.

Local working hours are generally shorter than OTR. Typically 10-12 hour shifts, which leaves plenty of time every day to be home with the family and sleep in your own bed.

Gary1263, austinmike, sevenmph and 3 others Thank this.
  8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I took a warehouse job at a beer distributor and worked in the warehouse for a month. The boss let me practice with the trucks after my shift was over.

My kid sister took an airport job with FedEx. I gave her $1200 to get her CDL at the community college. While in school, FedEx picked up the schooling tab, gave her a$3000 sign on bonus and trained her. She runs local for them from 5am to noon.

Gary1263, ibcalm19, tscottme and 3 others Thank this.
  9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    OP, glad you've got standards. Too many don't and look at the state of the industry.

jmz and Badmon Thank this.
  10. Rugerfan

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    You’ll sleep in your own bed that’s true. But work a 16 hour day one day, not including the drive to work. Then come back in for a 12 hour day. Then a 10. Then a 14. Between commute time and trying to get enough sleep and ready for the next day, you don’t always have ample time at home.

gentleroger, tscottme and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  11. Rugerfan

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I worked 2870.5 hours last year. And that was with 3 weeks off. That doesn’t leave much time to do much. That comes out to 59.8 hours a week at work. Not including roughly 20-45 minute commute depending on traffic.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.