Slim pickins for local jobs with little experience..

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by sventvkg, Jan 30, 2021.

1. sventvkg

sventvkg Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Absolutely. I’m not living on a truck. It’s not for me. I might do the 5 days out staying in Hotels ala Estes. But It might just come down to less $$ come home.

I’ve found lots of good jobs available locally even down here in FL. They just require experience.

plankton Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    some of the LTL's have a "dock to driver" program. work the dock and yard ,then line haul.

plankton and sventvkg Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I remember you.......you had another thread about when you were in training with Prime. You should have given Prime a little more time. If you don't have a direct contact, you will have to take the long hard road. You're down there in Florida where there are dozens of drivers who want to work local. I've heard that there is plenty of local work down there, but you have to think man, if you (with little to no experience), and someone else (with 5 years experience)apply for the same job, who do you think they will go with? I don't mean any disrespect but it's just the fact of the matter. Members on here will say that the year OTR experience is a myth. The truth is, sometimes it is. The ones that didn't have to go OTR, they were lucky. Perhaps the proper phrase should be the year of OTR is just the most surefire way to get to the line haul position that eludes you.

88 Alpha, firemedic2816 and sventvkg Thank this.
  5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    What a great brother looking out for his baby sister. Keep up the great work

6. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    Yea man, I get it. The bottom line was I got a double Eye infection and had to come home for medical treatment as I couldn’t drive. And then with two teenage boys and my wife working 60 hours a week she asked me to come home. I’m tough I could’ve stuck it out easily although I didn’t like it I don’t like living on the truck. However, it simply wasn’t working for the Family. My plan was to stick it out get my truck, do my ear and then go to Estes.

So now I will take any job OK if it’s $15 just get my year. I’ll call my school if I have to. They have job placement. Haven’t played that card yet. I have an interview with Coca Cola today. The last interview I had with Pepsi The guy flat out told me they constantly hire for these jobs because they are so physically demanding that people don’t last. So I will take one and do what I have to do I’m in pretty good shape for my age.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    firemedic2816, bryan21384 and plankton Thank this.
  7. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I always say trucking maybe good for your personality but not always best for your family. I too came off the road for my family. It is always family first over a career for me anyway. You know what is best for your family. Those coca cola & Pepsi jobs ain't no joke. They are not good for the body no matter what age you are. I would think those multi billion companies would know it's a 2-man job regardless of the money(it's a 100k job up here in the Northeast) food service job. It can only be done for a short time unless you get that "superman" once in a lifetime.

I would think three times about taking that job. Some areas just don't have the opportunities like others & you have to relocate to get to where you need to. All the best to you and your family

firemedic2816, bryan21384 and plankton Thank this.
  8. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I did beverage delivery for Coca Cola for 3 months. HATED IT. I hope you are young, strong, and don't mind doing anything at home but sleeping. Good luck!

bryan21384 and sventvkg Thank this.
  9. sventvkg

Mar 5, 2017
    I’m not young...I can hold off but if no other jobs are coming my way I need to get that year of experience so I have to take something. It’s definitely not something I’ll keep and I don’t think anyone really does.

bryan21384 and plankton Thank this.
  10. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I will also add.......your close quarters and city driving skills had better be top notch, as well as your backing skills. Take a look around at the convenience stores and gas stations you will be delivering to. As the new guy, you will probably delivering overnight, so throw darkness in the mix. I don't want to discourage you, but.......any type of incident can likely be a job killer. Be very careful

TequilaSunrise and sventvkg Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.