Slowing to the shoulder to let faster traffic by.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bentstrider83, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Some of us that aren’t governed will pass at 75 or so to get around you quickly, and then slow back down to the speed we were running when we caught you. It’s one of the pluses of not having a slow truck. Instead of hanging out passing on a two lane we get the job done and move back over. Many two lane roads in TX are 70 or 75 now anyway, so OK and CO would be your only long stretches of 65.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    I am guilty of letting traffic go, when road and conditions allow. Being from the NE(MA specifically, the epicenter of stupid), cars seem to have a hard time understanding what I am trying to do(is it a trick or trap?). They have to wait until straight road is coming to an end or can't go until there is oncoming traffic. Then they are like sheep, if one goes, they all go, no matter what the upcoming road condition. If there was an incident, I am liable?
    Back in my beginning years as a Class 1 driver, while pulling a hill on a good, wide, straight 2 lane road I was being courteous running the shoulder letting traffic go. A state cop stopped me. After the brief conversation explaing why I was running shoulder his answer was to "let them wait", running the shoulder is a marked lane violation. He didn't cite me...
    The other problem as others have already said is flat tires from the glass, nails and other crap accumulated on shoulder

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  4. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I'm not inflicting any will on them. If they want to speed around me and keep going, that's fine with me. I'm just saying if they get into an accident further down the road because of their driving, I'm not stopping. Call the fire department and alert them. But that's it. I'm not a medical professional so I'd just be an idle hand anyway.

5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    It has always been a Texas courtesy thing along with the wave as you pass someone as long as its safe and clear of debris. They even taught it in high school drivers ed. Old school troopers don’t mind it being done even in an 18. It is a disappearing practice now that people from other states moving here don’t know to do it or understand when you are doing it for them.
    People say all the time a shoulder isn’t strong enough to drive on and that is a myth. It is packed and surfaced just like the main lanes. Texas has designated the shoulders to be used as another travel lane in an emergency event like Hurricane evacuation anyway.

6. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Agreed on the fuel/environmental garbage governors. Whomever came up with those needs to be marinated and served as cheeseburgers. Can't let good meat go to waste.

7. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I've definitely been given a friendly wave when moving over temporarily in Texas. There definitely seems to be some of that old school etiquette in some parts of the state.

Final Drive, SmallPackage and baha Thank this.
  8. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Some of those 2 lane roads have signs specifically saying not to drive on the shoulder. I wouldn't do it any way. If I am going the speed limit my conscience is clear regarding traffic backing up behind me.

The most I will do is hug the right stripe within the lane and back off the accelerator if I see someone setting up to overtake.

Brettj3876, magoo68 and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  9. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I guess if I'm that bothered by it and think they're out to get me, I should find something else to do. But, that's a completely different thread.

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Some of the Texas two lanes are 75 mph speed limit, 385 is if I'm remembering correctly. I'll slow down a bit and let somebody pass, I call them minesweepers, they'll get the attention of any officer looking to write speeding tickets and keep their attention off of me. That said you get out in the country and the real speed limit is 5 over posted, and ain't nobody going to settle for 65 when you can do 70 or even a little better.

Long FLD and SmallPackage Thank this.
  11. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    The shoulder is reserved for 18 wheelers to swerve onto while the driver is texting. It's not meant for controlled driving.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.