SLT - Secured Land Transport

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by oceansidefireman, Aug 25, 2015.

1. oceansidefireman

oceansidefireman Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2015

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oceansidefireman

Aug 25, 2015
    This thread is not intended to be a recruitment site, a bash on the company, a bash on drivers, insults or otherwise emotional outlet for anyone. If a driver has relevant question(s) related to our experience at SLT last summer, please speak up. Of course anyone is free to post whatever they want, but let's not get off track. The purpose of my initial comment was to state fact, hold SLT accountable and allow drivers to discern the truth from what the gold plated ads say.
    A driver with DoD clearance is promised $1,200 guaranteed weekly pay. In all actuality, it breaks down like this: $805 guaranteed weekly earned pay + $385 optional per diem = $1,190. If a driver wishes to allow payroll to add the $385 per diem allowance to their weekly settlement instead of waiting until taxes are done at the beginning of the year, that adds up to $1,190.

However, at tax time, a driver will not qualify for very much if any per diem from tax returns since the majority of it was already fronted by the company. Additionally, taxable income will be based on the daily rate of $115 per day (actual pay) + any bonus (usually withheld at a higher rate). If a driver spends more time driving and less time waiting on shippers and receivers, he or she may receive bonuses.

archangelic peon Thanks this.
  4. oceansidefireman

Aug 25, 2015
    At the time of the original post on this thread, new employees were required to drive for ninety consecutive days before they were allowed to receive any performance bonus.

That being said, at least one other team of drivers from my orientation group had already obtained security clearance and were hauling DoD freight as owner operators up to a week before orientation. This same team while working for SLT was paid at the lower (non-DoD clearance) rate ($95+55 daily) for almost three weeks up to the day they resigned. What happened to our fellow drivers also influenced our decision to resign from this company when we did.

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I have, and it happens frequently. Stick around long enough, and you'll see it too.

TruckDuo and horsecrazychic22 Thank this.
  6. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I don't understand how SLT can advance your per diem to you at the $55.00 per day rate when the DOT per diem law only allows you 80% of the current per diem rate of $59.00 which works out to be $47.20 per day actual?

You will end up owing on the untaxed $7.80 per day excess if you are honest at tax time; all the while showing a lower gross pay per paycheck & end of year W2, negatively influencing any decision that takes your income into account as per diem/travel allowance does not factor.

I made a bit over $62k last year; since my company advances per diem, I can only claim I grossed around $50k on loan applications, mortgages, ect.

If I got full straight pay on every paycheck, my W2 gross would show the full $62k; regardless of what per diem I then claimed at tax time while still receiving the full amount of untaxed income afforded me by per diem.

The only time this would differ is if they requested your completed tax form listing the claimed per diem, instead of just W2; & this is only common on large mortgage type deals.

You make the same regardless if you file correctly, but how it is perceived differs because of how the financial system is set up to usually only take gross into account & can affect you negatively.

You are allowed the same per diem no matter what at end of year anyway no matter what the company fronts to you, why hurt your listed gross pay?

To clarify, if you opt out of per diem, your pay is exactly the same just not split on paycheck correct?

What is the min MPG you are held to & has that value varied any since inception?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Reason for edit: Grammar.
  7. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    SLT used to pay 1.05 per mile . Was years ago.

8. archangelic peon

Dec 15, 2011
    I think I saw one of their trailers advertising that at the Loves in Binghamton, NY a couple months ago.

Can only imagine what the load pays the company....

oceansidefireman Thanks this.
  9. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    What happens if you don't get your clearance ?

horsecrazychic22 and slim shady Thank this.
  10. Southeast Trucker Mike

Southeast Trucker Mike Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2014
    North GA Mountains
    No... this is NOT correct. If you "opt out", then you will be paying about 7.65% in FICA/MC tax on the per diem amount, making your net paycheck SMALLER than if you had permitted the Company to deduct that (now UNtaxed) per diem from your gross pay each paycheck.

Remember... the expense reimbursement IS paid to you on your paycheck! Instead of being included in the "Gross Pay" amount, it is added as a separate line item usually called "Per Diem Expenses Reimbursed". In MOST cases, allowing the company to deduct "per diem" from your gross wages paid SHELTERS that per diem amount from FICA/MC taxes. You STILL get paid that per diem amount on your paycheck... just as an add-back under a line item other than "Gross Wages".

Bottom line... "opting out" will, for most people, cause slightly reduced weekly paychecks, and LESS money into your bank account since you ultimately pay MORE in taxes each year.

PS The "benefit" to the Company is that they do NOT have to match (an EXPENSE to them) your FICA/Medicare taxes paid on per diem, which on a weekly basis saves them: $55 per diem X 7.65% = $4.20 less in taxes, or around $1,367/annually per driver, assuming driver gets 325 days of per diem amount. This amount is also "saved" by the driver on their tax return.

11. archangelic peon

Dec 15, 2011
    I was referring to your actual pay rate from the company; eg. some companies reduce your paid CPM if you opt out of per diem. (see Millis, Interstate distributing)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.