Small carrier: How to get a direct customer & skip the broker.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Flipflops, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Bass Man 69

Bass Man 69 Bobtail Member

May 29, 2016

2. Bass Man 69

Bass Man 69 Bobtail Member

May 29, 2016
    Never looked at it that way !

3. gtilogistics

gtilogistics Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2012
    I would buy freight leads from www.freightleadsusa.com

Stop working with those brokers that steal your money! I called 40 companies from fhis list I bought and so far I have daily freight to cover four of my trucks round trip! These brokers make tons of money!!!! I was getting a dollar a mile these shippers are actually payinf me $2.25 a mile...

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    If you're buying a list from someone, how's that different from taking a load from a broker?

Find shippers in the areas you run and start making calls or knocking on doors. With the internet, it's easy, and free!

5. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    I read through this thread and got some good info. I did notice that a lot of guys still have yahoo, aol, gmail... accounts. It doesn't cost much to get a small website up and get a custom email. I pay $72 a year for my domain, simple site, and a custom email through Google Business Apps: https://apps.google.com/intl/en_us/

$12 a year for my trucking company domain, $5 a month to have a custom email address through them. That $5 a month also give me the ability to create and host a simple website through Google Sites: https://apps.google.com/intl/en_us/products/sites/
    A simple website can make a big difference. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, I just have my home page with a picture of my rig and some quick info, a services page that describes what I offer in more detail, and a contact page with all of my contact info. It's pretty much just a digital business card but it's nice since my customers can see that I don't drive a beat up rig and read a little about me. Plus myname@companyname.com looks a lot more professional than companyname@gmail.com

It's not very complicated and took me a few hours to set up on a weekend. You also have access to all the tools Google offers since it's hosted through them so that's a big plus. You can get all those with a free Gmail account anyways but there's no way to get a free domain or website. $72 a year is a great deal for that, you can't get much cheaper

6. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    And tax deductible!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
  8. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    The original poster is not here anymore.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  9. KOR1

KOR1 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2018
    McDonough,Ga
    Thanks for the info .I have had my authority for 1 year in about 3 weeks and I tell you it’s been a headache .I have 2 trucks and 2 trailers and I really need direct freight.

10. BigNik

BigNik Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2018
    What has been the hardest part? Finding good paying loads?, Findong constant work?. Im super curious, and just trying to get started with own authority.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.