Small carriers and bennies?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by JustSonny, Dec 2, 2009.

1. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    I've been fortunate in the 40+ years I've been working. I've had a few jobs that I had to endure for a while. But I knew when I started them that they were short-term. I think, if I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, then working for one of the larger companies will be okay. And, as you say, once the experience level is solid, more opportunities will open up. That's only if the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train! Good luck and stay in touch.
    Oldnew...

DirtySideDown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    Let me explain this more clearly... they were at the office, but the office has a large area that is usually used for driver meetings, where the kids are encouraged to be.. and the office is fenced off, separate from the yard... the office is actually a very safe place for the children. And since the owners wife and the safety officers wife are always around, the kids are always watched. The mobile however, is not fenced off, therefore not safe. He is trying to get us to move out there again... This time, my only hold up is having an attractive soon to be 18 year old daughter out there....:biggrin_25521:

DirtySideDown Thanks this.
  4. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    I checked out all 3 and from what I gathered, none are for "just out of the box" drivers. I found more info on Quality and Sperry Rail than Eastern Seaboard. I know that I would have to be drier behind the ears before any of these would look at me. That's OK, if they're good companies they will be there once I've paid some dues. Thanks!

5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    It is unfortunate that companies use a "cookie cutter" approach to hiring. When I was training new drivers years ago, I had some young drivers, totally "wet behind the ears" that made excellent drivers. I have checked out some that supposedly had time behind the wheel that I wouldn't let them out of the gate on their own. But, there is really no way to tell what you got till you see them in action. So the carriers just use the "cookie cutter" approach and you have to fit into their predetermined idea of time behind the wheel to be able to qualify. Even then, I have seen so-called Experienced drivers with several years go right out and do a full gainer in a ditch with a truck within 2 weeks of being hired. We had one at Fremont do this just last year, in summer, clear weather, in Kansas. Had one at my last carrier that managed to cross a median, kill 6 college students in a van, within a week of hire and hadn't even filled out one log book page! So much for those "experienced" drivers.

A lot of times, if a newbie has the right attitude, I would take them over one of those experienced billy bob bigriggers any day. I have seen way too many no count "experienced" drivers in nearly 3 decades at this game. There are some truly great experienced drivers, but for every one of them, there is a knothead experienced driver that thinks that the road belongs to him and he can play smokey and the bandit.

But it is a system we have to live with. But, it is worth the wait to get the experience and keep a clean record so that you can get on with the better carriers. There is no "perfect" carrier in the industry. I equate trucking, in some ways, to Vietnam. There may not have been any "safe" places in the Nam, but along with that, there were some truly nasty places.

JustSonny and DirtySideDown Thank this.
  6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Your original post only asked about the benefits working for smaller companies , not ones hiring inexperienced drivers . They have no need to hire inexperienced drivers although ESP has trained salesmen and warehousemen they already employed to be drivers .

JustSonny Thanks this.
  7. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    You're right, I did get a little sidetracked. Nevertheless, I did get a line on a good handful of recommended companies (3 from you) that I could keep in mind once I have some experience. I'm not exactly sure why, but I like the idea of working for a company that is not hell bent for leather just to hire warm bodies. My ego is big enough to like being among the select few a company will hire. I'm satisfied that each of the "handful" is strong enough to have a good benefit package. Stay in touch - you're a big help!

8. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Oldnew, thanks for starting this thread. Have a year now and plan to stay where I'm at for another. Kind of like stability you know. lol

JustSonny Thanks this.
  9. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    This is the 2nd small company I've worked for, 1st small trucking company though. I will always try and stay with a small company. 1. typically your a name, not a number, 2. the office door is generally open, not by appt., 3. the care given to the equipment is generally better, 4. pay and benies may be lower than a large company, but the more personable approach some times offsets that and makes you feel part of the family.

I work for a small family run company. 12 company drivers and 2 owner operators. The office/dispatch space is all the same, only seperated by a partial wall. I've been there 12 yrs, generally we get some type of cash bonus every year at Christmas, plus grocery store gift cards at X-mas and t-day. This is year I didn't get a bonus, or come to think of it a review on my anniversry, but considering I'm topped out and the economy sucks, at least I have a good job. We can BS with one another and generally no offense is taken, I can often, within reason, chew my boss's butts out as much as they chew mine out. When my Mom died in '03, the 3rd phone call I made was to the company to tell them. I reported for work the monday after (she died on a sat.), worked two days and took the next 5 off. They paid me for three of the five (w,T,F)without me asking about it, I currently get 3 weeks vacation per year, 401K, and hell I drive a new truck. The only time I'm a number is when I fuel the truck in the yard, otherwise we're treated like a person. The only time I leave the truck keys in the office is if I'm on vacation and leaving town, I have a company Mastercard for fuel/repairs/etc. when on the road. The company trusts me to use my judgement with it. Granted I have to call in first for repairs, but otherwise I use my judgement. When fueling on the road, they know that I'll try to find the cheapest truckstop, that still has quality fuel. Recently when a blizzard shutdown the highway, since they didn't know when the highway would reopen, and they didn't want the truck to idle for 20+ hrs, they had me get a hotel room (heck I've done that many times on their dime), when I told them that I didn't have money to eat, they told me to use the credit card, and no, they didn't back charge me for the expenses (roughly $40 for dinner and breakfast).

DirtySideDown and JustSonny Thank this.
  10. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Sounds like you're in a good situation. I'm curious to know what, beyond vacation and 401k, this small company offers in the way of other benefits. Do they have medical, life, etc? If these other benefits are paid by the company then you've got a really sweet deal!

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah, I vote for for small companies. I worked for one that had 60 trucks once, and enjoyed the smallness of it all. When you can call in and identify yourself by your first name only, that's my style. Although I do have an uncommon first name. But I'm not done yet, I've worked for a couple here in Kingman, one has 9 trucks, the other 5. One in Ca. had 5 trucks.(local job). Was invited to the owners house for Thanksgiving dinner. But, you know, I was leased to Jones Motor out of Pa. in '07/'08 and only dealt with one dispatcher out of an office in Tx. and it was just like a small company atmosphere. (No Q-comm). But one word of advice, here. Do not bug your dispatcher with trivial phone calls, keep it short and business like. They got enough to do.

JustSonny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.