Small company offer me almost double what Mega give ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by yzar78, Jan 5, 2018.

1. TaterFox

TaterFox Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Ashland City, TN
    Totally understand. In simpler terms, things are not always what they seem. I'm starting bulk training next week, and in the end, I could have gone to "better" places, but I'm familiar with where I'm going and know what I'm getting into, rather than going somewhere new and risking running into options I'd not like.

midnightlost and AfterShock Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    In 1974 my father got hired by WR Grace and finished out his driving career with them in 1992 when he was medically retired because of his heart condition. Before this he always worked for small carriers and enjoyed that time. Most of the last 15 years before that time he drive for a man that had his trucks leased to Mercury based in Emporia Virigina. My father loved working for these people. However after getting hired by WR Grace he got better health insurance and vested in a pension. Without the insurance payout and pension my mother got after he died I do not know what she would have done. Folks it is simple. Social Security as we know it has maybe 20 years left AT MOST! When you make that decision to change jobs take EVERYTHING into account not just a few cents per mile more. I will echo a comment already made. Just because you see what seems like green grass don't mean when you finally get there you don't discover astroturf.

Lepton1, midnightlost and AfterShock Thank this.
  4. TaterFox

TaterFox Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Ashland City, TN
    AfterShock Thanks this.
  5. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I may have missed it, but what does the new co. haul ? Dedicated or what ? Personally I would hold off and see if this co succeeds.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  6. yzar78

yzar78 Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2017
    thank you very much everyone for your answers I literally studied the answers and it didn't only help me make a decision it made the decision possible for me and now i know what our answer would be reading all answers make it easy to say no without the felling am loosing much at least for now with my small 4 months experience in the industry...

THANK YOU AGAIN everyone you guys really helped a brother more than you think with your answers. I really appreciate everyone wrote a word to help me MANY MANY THANKS and God bless you all

Lepton1, Kyle G. and TaterFox Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Give it a go.

MAKE SURE YOU BOTH LEAVE SCHNEIDER on good terms. Wrap them that truck like a present. Detailed and so forth.

Me thinks you are both settled into the dedicated rut. You need to be let out of the sandbox to roam the block more.

8. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    They run as a team, so, ----
    If they each take their total experience and add the two numbers together, they could enter that number on the application where it asks, "how many years of experience do you have"? Eight months oughta be more impressive than four months.

You opined that you think they "both settled into the dedicated rut"?!
    Are conditions out there so bad now that it only takes four months to get into a rut?
    Back in the day, it took a new driver easily twice that number,, or even longer. For folks just starting out it's unlikely they've experienced enough Big truck truckin' adventure to know what a truckin' rut is. Most everything they'll encounter will be a new experience for them. When one is still new and enthusiastic, soaking up the sights and sounds associated with relocating freight, --- all kinds, under all kinds of conditions, ever changing, they'd be rut resistant, --- at least until they start gettin' re-runs and find themselves craving more new and different and challenging assignments.

Some folks will just accept repetitive conditions as just the way it is, and the way it gets. Oh well, it was stimulating while it lasted. Believing that's the way it gets, they hear the echos of the disenchanted masses calling for someone to change what they've allowed themselves to become.
    On the other side of the rut there are those who've driven themselves into an existence consisting of hoping, wishing and dreaming of miracles.

To rut?
    Or not to rut?
    Hmmmmmm ------

Is that a question or a choice one can choose to exchange for what's behind the door on what's left? There's more to life than remaining stuck in a rut. Then again, one driver's rut can be another driver's roof.
    Some jobs aren't what would be considered glamours. Many such jobs could be vitally necessary though.
    Tasked with making a choice, one or the other, I'm sure the odds favor glamour.
    One is congratulated
    The other one should be thanked

Now, ..... having said all that, I gotta say, --- if I uttered anything sounding remotely intelligent, it was unintended and purely coincidental, --- as I try to avoid any display of actions that could cause others to conclude that I'm somehow intelligent. Once that happens folks start expectin' intelligence on a regular basis, and shun the bum who, in reality, weighs in as somewhere 'round average.
    :help:
    :confused4:
    :icon_frown:
    :laughing1::laughing4:
    OH!
    By the way,...........
    An interesting occurrence, -----

The Peralta platform scale house located on the eastbound side on Highway 91 in Orange County, California headin' into Riverside County, same state, ---
    There was a red Big truck belonging to a Big truck truckin' company owned and operated by the
    Sons-0-Chester out of Salt Lick City. Nothin' unusual 'bout that though.
    It's what their driver was doin' with that Big truck that seemed unusual.

That driver was circlin' the scale house, --- the actual building itself. I'd never seen that done before in all the years spent out cruisin' the highways, --- collectin' mile-markers, --- over a million of 'em. Never saw a Big truck drive circles around a scale house.
    Here's the kicker, ---- the scales were closed, C.H.P. had vacated that post hours before, --- gone home I suppose.

I couldn't resist askin' that driver just what the hail he was doin', ----

Break one-nine, ----
    How 'bout'cha Son-0-Chester, you got a copy on ol' AfterShock waviun' a hand at'cha out here, come-on back.

He didn't key-up right away, so I gave 'em a second call, to which he responded,......
    Uhhhh, hullo?
    Callin' AfterSock out there.
    Over.

Yeah, ............ Hey driver, AfterShock here, --- been watchin' y'all drivin' circles 'round the bear's den for quite a while, .......

That's right AfterShave, been at it since five o'clock today.
    Over.

Danggg, Chester, that's more'n six hours --- you been doin' that.
    Any particular reason?

YeaH, there is.
    A really good reason too.
    I gotta do it.
    Over.

I'm confused Chester,
    Couldja 'splain it to me with a little more detail?

Ok AfterClott,
    My dispatcher told all of us that if we know a scale house is ahead, we all should try to drive around it. But I'm the only one doin' what we'ze been told to do.

That explanation left me unable to speak. I just sat there dumbfounded, for about ten minutes, ---
    when I saw That Sons-0-Chester drive roll to a stop, --- in front of the scale house, blocking the platform.

YO!
    Chester!

Uhhhhh, that you out there AfterShake?
    Hullo?
    Over.

YeaH --- just wonderin',
    are you out of fuel?

Oh, heck no AfterClock.
    I'm outta Salt Lick City.
    Gosh, I thought everbodie knows that.
    You must be one-a them new breed they been sendin' out here.
    Don't'cha fret none though AfterTop.
    Sumday you might could learn enuff to be good as me.
    If ya want, I could teach ya everythang I know.
    Over.

Imagine that.
    Ol' Chester was willin' to teach me everything he knows.

:biggrin_25521:
    As luck would have it, I was under a hot load and couldn't spare the ten minutes necessary for Chester to teach me everythang he knows.
    :biggrin_25523:

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. beachin

beachin Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    My recommendation would be that you stay where you are for at least a year. Then, if the company still wants you, you will have had a chance to watch what they are doing and how successful they are and also keep your resume looking okay. A year at your first job is good and it gives you a chance to make sure that it's a good move for you first. And be sure that it isn't 1099!

10. beachin

beachin Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Buckeye, AZ
    Not with the new tax laws. Please, don't do it. Figure your going to be paying at least 10% more right off the bat with the extra taxes alone. In addition to that you can't write off all your per diem anymore and so unless you are an owner operator, (wrote that out for you:) you will be in a world of trouble and owing a lot of money at the end of the year. Not a good way to start in trucking or in the US.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.