Small "door" on reefer trailers

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by livin4theweekend, Feb 19, 2008.

1. dieselhound

dieselhound Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Erie,PA
    :biggrin_2559: ...........Cluck Cluck, Yes, I am a chicken truck. LOL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rev.Vassago

Rev.Vassago Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2008
    WI
    It is an urban legend. The person who posted it here is known for his outlandish stories.

4. BigDiesel

BigDiesel Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Somewhere....

That is one of the best tall tales yet IE2006 !!!!:biggrin_2559:

5. Rev.Vassago

Rev.Vassago Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2008
    WI
    Not only is it so ridiculous that it borders on the absurd, but it would be impossible to get enough of the ping pong balls out of the trailer to the point where you could safely open the rear doors without having a huge mess on your hands. Apparently we are to believe that the ping pong ball companies haven't learned of the neat new invention called "cardboard boxes" yet.

6. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    Try this Star Spangled TWUE Story ----

A certain Big truck truck driver I know, picked up a pre-loaded trailer containing malted milk balls -- candy -- and delivered it to the consignee.

Upon arrival, he was in dire need of a restroom, and asked if the facility had one he could use.
    They told him "NO".
    And gave him a door number to back into.
    He did.

At the dock, the dock worker broke the seal and raised the roll-up trailer door -- at which point, thousands of those malted milk balls came rolling out and scattered all over the dock area.

It helped that the dock was down-hill toward the warehouse.

It seems that those balls were in huge plastic bags and the balls had settled during shipping, which split the bags and dumped the balls so they were loose.

Of course, the dock dude thought it was pay-back for his refusing the driver's request for a restroom. But no one could explain the unbroken seal.

Moral of the story?
    He who laughs last -- laughs best. :biggrin_255:

7. ironeagle2006

ironeagle2006 Road Train Member

Quick reply for both REv and Big D here I still have a copy of the BOL and the log book that shows that I was hauling the Ping Pong Balls. The way they unloaded the trailer was imple back trailer onto a lift ramp crack open on door and lift trailer balls fall into chute. BTW Rev and Big D there were 2 of us running that the same load at the same time they were being used as somekind of supplemental floatation on a high end Yacth for someone and they ordered them like this all the time light weight yet will not sink or take on water.

8. dieselhound

Mar 23, 2008
    Erie,PA

I have heard of this. I have never hauled ping pong balls though. What I heard was the balls are so light, using boxes cuts down the room for more. It makes sense to me....

9. NorCalSeahawkFan

NorCalSeahawkFan Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Cherokee Ca
    I always thought that little door on the back was so other drivers could tell you that your back door was open.:biggrin_25522:

10. CAJUNSPICE

CAJUNSPICE Light Load Member

I hauled a load of ALTOIDS once. Jeez! just one tin of that stuff is strong. Imagine a 53' trailer load of it. When I would park at a truckstop, you could really smell it.When I delivered the load, I ended up with a few "damaged" cases. I tossed them on my top bunk till I could get home. The smell was so strong it made your eyes burn and water.The next day, I was giving the tins away to anyone that would take them. For the next few days, I went down the highway with all my windows open to try to get it so my eyes wouldn't burn and water from the strong smell.The scent of those ALTOIDS stayed (very noticeable)in my truck for a good 2 weeks.

11. dieselhound

Mar 23, 2008
    Erie,PA

Has anyone tried this, yet?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.