Small hotshots

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Nick167, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Nick167

Nick167 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2017
    I'm looking to get into the industry and was wondering would it be possible to just start with a 3/4 ton long bed pickup and then work up to a trailer? I see some people doing this and wanted some other opinions. If I went this route would I just need cargo insurance? Or what else would I need? Thank you ahead for any insight. Also I'm located in Ohio if that makes a difference.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    You'd be under 10,000# with a 3/4 ton pickup, so no log book and no medical card UNLESS you haul haz-mat. As soon as you hook a trailer to the back, you will exceed 10,000# GCWR and therefore will have to start keeping a log book and pass a DOT physical. If you upgrade to a gooseneck and that pushes your GCWR above 26,000#, then you'd need a class A CDL. If the state doesn't already require vehicle inspections, you'll also have to have that done. Maybe not under 10,000#, but for sure once get up over that...inspections on both the truck and trailer.

In any case, though, you'll need usdot and mc numbers, either your own or leasing onto a company. You'll also need the liability & cargo insurance as required by the regulations. Once you start pulling a trailer, you'll also likely need to register with ifta...although that may be required from the start with just the pickup, so consult the state about that to see what the exact requirements might be.

I'm sure others will chime in with more, but that's a start. This isn't really something you can wake up one day and say "hey, I think I'll do this today" and get to work.

Lite bug and Ryan S2016 Thank this.
  4. Nick167

Nick167 Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2017

Thank you for the input I know what ya mean about just coming up with this and trying to did it, it is something I've been thinking about for quite awhile.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.