Small Trucking Company Driver $$$

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by stepanahalf, Mar 20, 2016.

1. stepanahalf

stepanahalf Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    I just started working for a very small carrier two months ago. I got off to a pretty rough start! I had a truck towed from a WalMart parking lot, two overweight tickets(sliding tandems would have prevented), also I ran into a post at grocery warehouse(the insurance totaled the truck!). Meanwhile, I have been going by the house about every 7-10 days. So, the company pays me 20% of each load. I recently had a load that would have loaded Friday afternoon and deliver 2 stops on Monday and one stop on Tuesday morning. About 850 miles. Paid $1600 for the company. My 20 percent would have been $320.00. That's about $80 per day if you count the trip as four days.

I live in San Antonio, Texas. He's been sending me up around Chicago then Minnesota and back to Texas. So, I'd like to give this company a shot. But I need to take home at least $700 per week. More if possible. Should I make him pay me at least 25 percent of the loads? Can I still make money if I go to San Antonio every week?
    I'm driving a 2000 Kenworth with a CAT. I have to make sure I don't let it break down. I'm pretty sure it needs a starter and I have a leaky coolant valve. They have replaced the rear axle passenger side wheel seal and the brake shoes already. I need a Air Conditioner blower motor or switch for the dash. It only blows air on the low speed. It's gonna be hard to keep the cab and bunk cool down in Texas this summer. :)

I need to be home with my family every day but am willing to stay on the road for a while to catch up on our bills. I would like to stay with this company if I can. It is based out of North Dakota and I live in San Antonio, Tx.

Yes I worked 2.5 years in the Eagle Ford Shale as a vacuum truck driver. I took home $800 to $900 per week after taxes and medical insurance. And insurance was expensive!!!

I talked to a guy leased to Celadon. Then there is Prime or Schneider. Oh, I have tanker with hazmat. Should I be hauling tankers OTR? If it pays well with insurance and get home every week that would be ideal.

I can leave my dog at home if I have to.

Thanks,

Daniel

p.s. could we pull someone elses trailer and stay in Texas? Like fuel tanker or gravel hauler?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pete jockey

Pete jockey Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2015
    North of Pittsburgh Pa
    $80 per day?! Driver I'm sorry but that's not gonna get it...I'm assuming that's before taxes? Who can live on that?

4. Pete jockey

Pete jockey Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2015
    North of Pittsburgh Pa
    I strongly recommend looking elsewhere for a job...that pay is absolutely ridiculous!

americanmadetrucker Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Amen to that!

Can "take home" $900.00 to $1200.00 a week pulling hazmat tankers. Drivers right out of CDL school are doing just that. That's as a company driver with a full benefits package.

You can also do good with Cardinal Logistics pulling reefers. I worked there for a while and was averaging over a thousand a week as a company driver. They will also help you finance a good used truck for $2000.00 down payment and keep you moving hauling their freight.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Groendyke Transport
    Coastal Transport
    Mission Petroleum Carriers
    Trimac Transportation
    A&R Transport
    CTL Transportation
    SVTN
    Superior-Carriers
    Tidewater Transit
    Western Dairy Transport - milk haulers

speedyk and Diggler Thank this.
  7. insertnamehere

insertnamehere Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2013
    2 tickets, an accident, truck towed? Need to worry about that as well. It's going to follow you around for a while.

8. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    Exactly !!! Seems he is lucky to still be employed

stepanahalf and strollinruss Thank this.
  9. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    Pull your Dac report. Tankers won't touch u being the accident . Most want a clear record. I would stay sitting on the couch for that little money. when you take into account the cost of living on the road. 80.00 a day..... What the hell.

10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    You could make more money working for minimum wage on less hours.

stepanahalf Thanks this.
  11. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Did you work for Badger? If not maybe look them up, drivers I've talked to say they do pretty good and the trucks are nice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.