Any Newer information about Smith Transport? Just kinda researching to we know what to expect from this company, my husband is getting his Truck today. If this one doesnt work, I think he may be thinking of going back to a factory, just seem to have a lot of bad luck, but I just recently found this site, and Ive trying to check things out a little at a time. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance!
Page 1 of 18
Thank you for your Reply...So far things have been good, havnt gotten the first paycheck yet, that will come next week. He seems to be getting the Miles. And is getting home on everyweekend so far. Just got in last night and wont leave till early Am tomarrow. He seems happy here, Hopefully he has found a new Job Home. Hahaha.. That is so difficult anymore.
Wondering if you had any additional info on Smith Transport. I live about 15 minutes from the terminal in Roaring Spring, PA and thinking of making a move. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated...
Home time; trucks; pay; length of haul; etc.
What can I say so far in 6 months. For the most part they are a decent company, like any where elese there are good weeks and bad weeks...They have Excellent Health Benifits and Dental...Trucks are not as good as they could be, My husband has been through 5. Yes, 5 in 6 months. Pay checks go from 450.00-800.00 a week (course that is with insurance deduct and taxes.), depends on where you go and how soon they get to the Corp in the Trip Pack. We have had loads not get paid for till the following week, but that is trucking. Miles tend to be 2500 - 3000. we have had very few low mile weeks. I think my hubby said he gets .37 a mile. Could be wrong.
My only Gripe with them is that if he NEEDs to be home for a Doctor appointment they tend Not to get you there ( NO matter How long before you tell them.) What we started doing is have him come in late on Saturday and Leave on Monday evening or afternoon and schedule in the Early Am of Monday...Fridays Forget it. And they do expect you to be out as soon as your 34 is up.
If you have to go to a Roaring Springs to get something Fixed, you will be waiting a while. And to my knowledge, might be wrong no sitting pay. For they most part they are not that bad like I said, I know there are a lot worse companies out there, cuz we have been to a couple.
Good luck!1catfish Thanks this.
smith, my experience and the facts are as follows....
my first year, i was top 5 % in miles. made good money, bonus every quarter. ran my nuts off and never late. here is what happens after your first year. Most wont stay for more than 90 days, because there are only 3 good dispatchers in the entire place, and 2 of them only take care of family, and drivers that who are closely knit to the family and live in Roaring Spring.
1. Your dispatcher, after a year will purposely lower your miles so you can no longer make bonus, they also changed the bonus criteria so that you cant achieve it. Bonus used to be in 4 teirs. Smith changed it so that if you dont make the miles, you get none of it. When that happened, about 50 trucks were empty in the yard by the end of that month. It's 2 weeks at a time or u wont make any $. As soon as my miles were lowered, I had it out with my dispatcher and switched to a week at a time. I got 250 mile short trips and fired her....so, there goes the one good dispatcher that i luckily got in the beginning.
2. I thought that if I switched terminals, that would change things for the better. Wrong.....the guy who does driver issues (I later found out came over from Swift and is brand new). paired me up with a brand new dispatcher. Kiss of pure ignorant death....When you tell him "Where are the miles, I got a mortgage to pay" He says "i understand. and goes round and round, claiming that all he does is sends the loads thru.
3. So, what I would do is use the few connections I had at with the night crew, and just ignore my dispatch completely. I made some good $ doing that thruout. They caught onto that, and now the short trips are due the next day and dont drop...which means you are stuck.....pathetic that after a year, u get nothing but ignorance treated like you have no credit.
4. I avoid the terminals completely. Service is absolutely terrible. They pay their mechanics 12.75 hr to start. Let Freightliner, TA, and Speedco do all your service. Ur much better off and can do it while under a load. Just hope that your AC doesnt quit working.
5. This company is a stepping stone, and the office spends more time screening your calls, rather than helping you if u need something.
6. There are plenty of shirt and cap company kiss #"sses here too, of course some of them quit when they found out that they couldnt get full bonus handed to them anymore. Unachievable and we cant just sit back at the terminal all day and watch TV.
IF YOU ARE A HUSTLER, IF YOU WEAR T SHIRT AND JEANS AND ARE NOT WORRIED IF YOUR 5 COMPANY SHIRTS ARENT IRONED AND FOLDED
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE OVER 65 K A YEAR AND DO IT GOING HOME EVERY WEEK (WHICH THERE SHOULD B NO REASON WHY NOT) THE COMPANY SZ 2 WEEKS AT A TIME CONSTANTLY WHICH IS B.S
IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO B TREATED HALF HUMAN AND EXPECT EXPERIENCED DISPATCHERS TO GET U HOME AND NOT LIE ABOUT IT...SO THAT UR NOT SITTING IN A TRUCK STOP 14 HRS ON A FRI NIGHT...BECAUSE U HAD TO CALL NIGHT CREW AND THATS ALL THEY HAD TO GET U IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION AND DELIVERS SATURDAY AM
IF U ARE A GOOD DRIVER, WHO HAS BEEN HERE DONE THAT WITH IGNORANCE THAT U CAN CUT WITH A KNIFE
IF YOU DONT WANT TO IGNORE YOUR DISPATCHER AND FETCH UR OWN LOADS SPINNING THE WHEEL AND TAKING A CHANCE
IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE MANAGED AND DISPATCHED BY EX SMITH AND JB HUNT (TOP MANAGER JUST HIRED IN FROM JB) ANOTHER FROM SWIFT.
SKIP THIS COMPANY, IT HAS BEEN GETTING WORSE AND WORSE EACH YEAR, IT IS NOT FOR YOU.
They lie to you from the get go,
1st... The trucks they have are DINOSAURS! Unless you have been with them for a while, dont expect anything newer than 2003
2nd... They are not over the road, like they claim to be, you will run on an average 700 miles from Roaring Spring, PA. So you will be lucky to mrun a minimum of 2200 miles per week. 2200 miles at .35 cpm. Add the math.
3rd...unless you are a brown noser, and willing to run illegally, you will get the good miles, other than that...you are SOL!
4th...dispatchers play alot of games with the drivers, alot of loads get cancelled and you sit waiting for something good.
Finally... BE PREPARED FOR GOING INTO THE SHOP....ALOT!!!
AND TO TOP THIS ALL; IF YOU DO GO INTO THE SHOP...WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE TRUCK, NEVER GETS FIXED, THEY LOOK AT YOU LIKE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT
Smith Transport- Smith Transport Is Not A Good Company
I just left smith transport orientation and let me tell you, if you go to work for smith transport you will be very sorry. I am a driver who has been driving since 2001 smith transport gives you the road test on a simulator which is basically a machine inside of a buiding similar to a sophisticated video game, so I took the road test on basically a video game and failed it just because the guy giving me the test sent a lady on the game/machine/simulator heck I dont know what it was but she ran in front of my truck and I slammed on breaks but she still got hit and I looked in my rear view mirror and she was laying on the ground! Now what kind of bull is that? Smith Transport should be ashamed of themselves to give someone a road test on a darn video game basically! So they Smith Transport failed me and sent me home just because of that, now in the real world driving a truck there isn't anyone who will commit suicide like that. Let me remind you that I have an excellent driving record and have never had an accident not to mention hit anyone while driving. If you are wondering why I used Smith Transport so many times in this posting its because I want this listing to make front page of google so that I can expose sorry companys like Smith Transport. Do not I repeat do not go to work for Smith Transport because Smith Transport are just like all the rest of the big companies out here Smith Transport try to get people to orientation just so that Smith Transport can get money from the IRS for each person hired thats right Smith Transport will steal money from your hard earned tax dollars by bringing in 16 new potential employees a week. Smith Transport Scam, Scam, Scam. So Smith Transport you messed with the wrong guy this time, Im typing this as I sit here at the bus stop waiting to go back to nc.
Smith Transport- Smith Transport Is Not A Good CompanyLast edited: Sep 21, 2009
the machinist Thanks this.
Page 1 of 18