smokes bad in cold weather

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by trucker48, Nov 27, 2013.

1. catmechanic07

catmechanic07 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Roanoke, VA
    Geees! All over the board are we? White smoke.....is coolant. A gallon in 2 weeks isn't too bad but should be zero! First, check the air pipe at your intake. If there is moisture or white residue, your loosing water thru either the EGR, head gasket, or injector cups. Could even be a bad air compressor.

Check list: remove the radiator cap while cold. Dump all the air off the system and remove the main airline (leave it off for the next step). Start the truck and run hard for about 30 minutes (about 2k rpm's) look for any signs of bubbles in the cooling system. If none, the air compressor isn't the culprit. Hook the air line back up and continue running. Any bubbles now? If none, head gasket isn't culprit either.

Now, you can pull the pipe off the back of the turbo. Check for signs of coolant there (will be white). If nothing there, pull the cross over pipe from the top of the EGR cooler. If this is wet, EGR cooler is the culprit. If all else fails, you may have to take it to a shop to check for injector cups of leaking valves.

Coolant temps are not going to rise with bobtail or light loads in cold weather. That's like trying to heat your house with a match while leaving your front door open and its 20 degrees outside. NO GONNA HAPPEN!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tw1005tx

tw1005tx Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Sounds like its running to cold (Thermostat's) Some smoke on a cold start not unusual unless its a perfect world

4. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    As a baseline, I have a 2006 (none dpf but egr) fl Columbia with a 14l s60 in it.

Mine almost never smokes on start up or otherwise. In cold weather mine wont get above 130 idleing at 900 rpms. Bobtail it will stay around 155 or so but wont reach the 180 that it will under load. How cold are you running in? I'd check your stat first. Also check that your engine fan isn't stuck on.

5. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Same engine, in 15 degrees mine are at least 150 while cruising at 60mph.

6. trucker48

trucker48 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2012
    K haven't figured out what it is yet. No signs of water in oil. Coolant level seems to rise and fall. Under normal load. If no trailer or bobtail temperature drops drastically...... but if I unscrew cap on overflow and release the pressure the temperature goes to normal

7. trucker48

trucker48 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2012
    And quits smoking when pressure released

8. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    I dont think the over flow is supposed to be under pressure is it? That could be the problem.

9. trucker48

trucker48 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2012
    How could this be resolved ? Bad cap? Or

10. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    well wait for someone else to confirm im right, but i would imagine it would be a clog somewhere if its pressurizing in the the overflow. Your talking about the white tank up high right?

11. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    a new cap might fix this. Its worth a shot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.