Smokey Point Distribution Truck Company

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by KW1953, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Firetmldr61

Firetmldr61 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Ya'll act like ya'll some kind of exception to the industry talking bout pull baby food or drugstore cotton. I have been out here for 33 years and your human resources was talking 38ct a mile to start I don't know what ya'll think is good starting pay but you might get a cuban to drive for that. Don't flatter yourself with your job ya'll ain't ####.

bulkhauler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    what's your point?

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. DominoeEffect

DominoeEffect Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Figured I should chime in here. No, the pay isn't 38cpm it's 42. Still not good. Also, 10cpm of that is per diem. They don't tell you that until you sign on. They have decent insurance, which is a plus, but they don't keep you moving enough to pay the bills. I've been here only a few months, about 6 so far, and I've had numerous 1100 dollar paychecks. That's for two weeks work mind you. I've gone to Los Angeles more times than I care to list, and every time I go there i don't make squat. The guy in charge of dispatching that region is....special. Sometimes I'll hit the east coast. New Jersey is a very popular spot. Again, that run is okay, but expect a bunch of crap after it. Short hauls and waiting a day or two are common there. I don't mind tarping, but I will say that 90 percent of the loads here are tarped. You tend to make a few cpm more on oversize loads, but you won't have many of them, and when you do get them, you're on them for so long that the extra pay still won't balance out. You get 150 a day for breakdown pay, but good luck on having them get you a hotel. They won't. If your idea of a fun day is 15 drops in Los Angeles, then SPD is your place. You are promised an incentive pay if you stay out long enough and get enough miles per week, but you won't see it because you won't hit the miles needed. The guys running dedicated are doing pretty good, but the guys on regular otr are not. Often, hometime requests are late as well.

6. The Block Robert

The Block Robert Light Load Member

May 12, 2016
    I'd be curious as to which special dispatcher you have. As far as incentive bonuses are concerned I've hit mine every month since it started.

Everyone that I know that works here is happy and not planning on leaving. I don't know where you are located but there are many new opportunities with Triumph work etc.

Sorry you aren't happy but I don't think that is representative of SPD at large

7. DominoeEffect

Oct 26, 2014

Sure, you might have happy drivers around you. There are those who like getting paid less than 1000 bucks a check. For those of us with many years in, this company falls short and flat out lies to attract us. I don't believe you for a second that you've hit all your bonuses, unless of course you're driving team, which Smokey favors over all others. There's a reason the older drivers have been leaving in droves lately. Keep your eyes open and you'll see it.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  8. The Block Robert

May 12, 2016
    Have you spoken with Wally or Sean about your issues ?

If you had any type of experience you would be doing well.

I am unaware of any long term drivers leaving recently.

I'm sorry if because you haven't made bonuses you feel the need to suggest I am lying.

9. DominoeEffect

Oct 26, 2014

Don't drop names like that. But yes, both are well aware. Regardless, none of the two of them handle anything related to what load goes where .

10. The Block Robert

May 12, 2016
    Drop names ? You mean name the Drivers Services Group manager and the Drivers Liason ?

Since you don't want me to name people how about the guy that does the Drivers forum every week ?

I am beginning to think that you are an example that the hiring standards have went down recently.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  11. DominoeEffect

Oct 26, 2014
    I'm saying not to drop names because nowhere online is it listed their names. It's not wise to post the names of particular people to an online message board, and that's out of respect of the individual. If you can't grasp that, it's not my problem.

As for my driving history. I've got over a million safe miles and 0 late deliveries in my career. I applied to SPD after viewing the reviews left for them on various websites. Since hiring, I've not had one 10k mile month. Not even close. That's piss poor. I'm routinely delivering early hoping to get a load faster, but only end up waiting. Waiting 2 days in LA, 2 days in PA, a day in NJ, even waiting in Arlington. I was promised more miles than I would be able to handle. I was told I would have to request to slow down. Hell, I was told pay depended on experience, but that sure as hell isn't true. I was making more money running a #### reefer than I am here with a flat.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  12. DominoeEffect

Oct 26, 2014
    And let me tack this tidbit on. You'll notice that SPD was listed amongst the top fleets again for 2018. Wanna know why? They survey the new drivers within their first month or two, before they become fully acclimated to their position. Had that survey come to people who've been working 6 months and on, I guarantee that best fleets would only be a dream.

13. floydguitarist

floydguitarist Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Ok now you guys are scaring me. I just quit my local job of 8 years to go work for SPD because I heard they were a pretty good company. I have almost 20 years total experience driving including OTR and flatbed. In all those years I have always encountered drivers that have nothing but negative things to say about companies, but have found that I can usually make it work for me. I hope this will be the case now, I’m looking forward to going back out OTR, I’m not afraid to stay out for weeks at a time, or tarping, or anything other challenges they throw at me. But I need to make the money I’m making now (at least close to it). That’s my biggest concern, got bills you know?

• Truckers Report Jobs