Snow Driving

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by objectesticle, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    the only dumb question is an unasked question. it's your life out there and more importantly other lives. on the question i have no idea. i have never run into that. last snow i saw was the iowa 80 snow storm and i stopped at the truck stop there as did everybody else for the night to let it pass. by the way that truck stop is nice. good food and the waitresses aren't bad either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ladytrucker101

ladytrucker101 Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Now don't quote me on this....I've only done it once in 14 years and it's been a few. We are required to carry chains for the steering, drives and trailer (at least where I live). The one for the steering goes on the passenger side, the back drives are chained, and the trailer has one on each axle on opposites sides. Five chains total for five axle, and use your diff lock and anti-slip device if you have it. Also, a piece of advice, practice in the yard before you leave. It can be dangerous putting them on out there, and you want to know what you're doing in an emergency. Good luck and I hope i helped.

4. Stormcroe

Stormcroe Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Hubbard, OH
    Which tires. It all depends on what State your driving in and what you are pulling. In Calafornia they will hand you a card at the bottom of the hill before or at the chain up area. The card will tell you what tires to chain for your configuration. (I.E. Single drive axel with double tralers. Duel drives with single 53, ect). Yes you can lock in your diff. as long as you are at a stop. Unlock before going faster than 25mph or you will burn out the unit. With that said my basic rule of thumb is chains are only to get out of trouble not to get in to it. There is no load in the WORLD worth risking my life over. I beleve some one told it to me this way at some point and I can't even rember who it was. If it snow go slow, but if it's ICE no dice. Hope that helps a little.

5. socalborn

socalborn Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Lincoln, Nebraska for now
    I like the advice in the last saying. My question is do dispatchers take driving conditions into account when they give you a load? I was born in northern Santa Barbara County in the early 70s, two and a half hours north of Whittier in Los Angeles County. That's way down near the county line with Orange County. Now, I could barely make it to the 405/Santa Monica Boulevard off ramp in three hours. And that's if the traffic is good.

Here, you couldn't do it because of the enormous number of cars. What if the obstacle is Mother Nature? Do they allow for that and other things that crop up? Do they (dispatchers) get 'unreasonable' if you tell them you are unavoidably detained due to nothing that is your fault? Is this why many truckers drive at night? That's a related, but different, question I've had.

6. Cerberus101

Cerberus101 Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Georgia
    yes. most dispatchers know whats going on out there. if you got a good dispatcher there will no problems. they can and will change due times at receivers or shippers.

7. littlebit

littlebit Light Load Member

May 27, 2006
    I can't speak for all dispatchers but for me if you are delayed because of bad weather its ok. I would rather you get there safe than not at all. There is no load that is more important than your life. Delivery times can always be changed. I personally will not ask a driver to do something that I wouldn't do. If you get a dispatcher like that you need to try to get moved to a different one.

8. Stormcroe

Stormcroe Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Hubbard, OH
    MOST dispatchers will tell you that it is up to you. They watch the weather channel too. I used to run from Columbus, OH. To Portland, OR. Every week for Fedex. They used to give us a weather printout before we left the terminal if they thought it was going to be bad. I was routed off of I-80 once to I-90 because 80 was a mess. You would have thought that 90 would have been worse but they were right. The extra miles were nice though. The week after that they put us down on to I-70. That made for some interesting mountain driving west of Denver. Its beutiful scenery but the mountain driving can be a challenge even for someone with a lot of mountain experience. Anyway back on topic. Most dispatchers aren't going to tell you that you have to drive in bad weather. IF THEY TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO DRIVE IN IT AND YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT THEY ARE LEAGULY RESPONSIBLE. If they do that tell them you want it sent to you on a message on the Quelcom. Then call the safety department. Don't EVER put yourself in a position that you can kill someone including yourself. Your family wants you to come home in one piece. You are the Capt. of you'r ship act accordingly.

Be Blessed and good luck
    Storm Crow

9. FLYBYU44

FLYBYU44 Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2006
    I'm a new driver (6months) but I started with a oil well servicing company. Basically if we stopped for poor road conditions we would never work. Almost every job I'm dispatched to I have to chain up. Some of them we chain up everything, steering chain on passenger side (away from steering box) chains on both the drives and chains on one axle on the trailer. Alot of the time we just chain up the back drive on the tractor and then we throw the interaxle lock on, when you get to a steep hill you just throw your rear locker on and you are generally good to go. I've driving up and down mountain switchbacks on roads barely wide enough for the truck and covered in ice, I've also "sandpaddled" my way up hills before (which is a really good way to wreck chains, but you got to do what you got to do) and it really isn't that bad, just go really slow, be careful with the Jake and the brakes and stay calm. Just count yourselfs lucky that you aren't outside at 3:00am, up to your waist in snow trying to chain up, not fun at all. :)

10. trailboss

trailboss Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Just get used to seeing your trailer "dogleg" a bit in the mirror... Creeped me out the first time, but it's normal on snow and ice (drove a lot of Wyoming, Utah & Idaho last winter)...

11. YukonTrucker

YukonTrucker Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Whitehorse Yukon
    I have always been told to chain up the front drive because if you start spinning and chewing up a hill the you run the risk of snapping the interaxle driveline. Baisically always been told im fired if I snap it because I was lazy and chained up the rear axle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.