Snow plow taken out in Wy

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Jenn72, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    I'm going to push back against both sides here. There is usually more than one series of mistakes to result in such an incident. First, that trucker was pushing it, fast, blew by me back on the Utah/Wyoming border and I was doing 66. Second, that plow crew should have had a second vehicle behind blocking traffic from making a pass when the snow was blowing back across the road, intermittently, blinding anyone trying to pass or even follow and to give visibility. Two series of mistakes resulted in this accident. Guarantee that plow wasn't parked in the hammer lane, then it was only the drivers mistake. Variable speed limit was 65. As professional drivers we have to be prepared for the unexpected. Driving conditions were fairly good, I've seen much worse on 80.

Bud A., bzinger, Bean Jr. and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    It was snowing, badly, Hammer lane shouldn't be used in those conditions. As no one needs to be speeding. Just put it at 45 and stay in the right lane. So yeah, the trucker was an idiot. PERIOD. I get moving over to the hammer lane briefly, say for entering traffic, or a snow plow, or for the person only going 25. But other than that. Stay in the right lane and go slow. No load has to be there so badly that you are someone else needs to get hurt. A load is better delivered late than laying in the ditch.

4. Muskie

Muskie Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2019
    It was not snowing (maybe very lightly at times). Variable speed limit was 65, right lane road condition, excellent. But the wind was enough to cause a little drifting at the edges of the interstate. Again, the snow plow was in the hammer lane intermittently plowing the shoulder. This was the dangerous part. Anyone could be approaching the snow plow to pass in the right lane (wide open) but then all of a sudden the plow would begin to plow snow and though they pushed it into the middle ditch, the snow was very light and the wind was strong enough to blow the snow back across the road and back into the right lane, blinding any approaching driver. This is what I think happened to the driver that struck the plow.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Bean Jr. and Jenn72 Thank this.
  5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    We had a semi vs snowplow crash here in MN last month I think. Of course the truck was deemed at fault.
    If you can't see the other side of the plow, wind or not, it's probably a good idea to hang back for a moment or two. I know a state plow driver and they have limited visibility while plowing but still have to keep an eye on traffic.
    And I'd guess the plow would have had the right of way, so that companies insurance company is probably screwed.
    It's a sign of the times I guess, the risk some will take to save 60 seconds...

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Oh, mjd, I don't know what part of that post to correct 1st. Volvos, to me, will always be the "Commie" trucks that killed our products. I'll never give them that "Cadillac" distinction. I'm sure Volvos are adequate, they haul most of our countries freight, but to say Pete/KW is the "Ford" of trucks, simply isn't true.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, seeing you're from Texas, I can see, in light of recent weather events, you may harbor a gripe against snowplows, but may I remind you, they are considered an "emergency vehicle" and have the right of way over ALL other traffic. YOU have to look out for THEM. In Wisconsin, we HONORED the plow driver, buy them coffee, if we could, they literally allowed us to make a buck in the worst weather. I'm sorry you feel this way, for me, it's a tip of the hat to the plow drivers!!!:thumbup:

Bud A., Bean Jr., IH Truck Guy and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    Not gonna lie when i do see them out in weather that warrants them i feel a great sense of relief specially when the snow just started to fall and i begin to notice slick spots and sliders start to come out

Bean Jr., 201 and mjd4277 Thank this.
  9. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    The truck does not define the skill of driver. Just another steering wheel holder.

Final Drive Thanks this.
  10. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Given my employer’s experience with KWs ,I’m sorry to say it’s justified. Some of our KW’s are too maintenance happy(in particular the transmissions and EGR valves are problematic).As far as Volvos go,they’re considered Cadillacs because of the suspension setup which makes them ride smoothly. I should know, I used to drive one. Now as far as it being a “Commie” truck,that’s a misconception. The Volvo CAR COMPANY side is owned by the Geely Group. However the TRUCK MANUFACTURER side is still majority owned by the Swedes,basically keeping it under their control (and they don’t have plans to let that go,given their trucks popularity). And the last time I checked,the trucks here are built here(final assembly Dublin,Virginia-engine assembly Hagerstown, Maryland).
    You want to blame someone who “killed our products”? Blame the companies here who skimped on “quality control”. Like the auto manufacturers if you build vehicles that are constantly breaking down spending more time (and money) in the shop than on the road (and in our line of work-time is money)then customers will switch to another manufacturer who builds a better product.

Bud A., 201 and bzinger Thank this.
  11. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I live in Texas. I'm from Colorado.

Bean Jr. and 201 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.