Snow season and chaining?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by mike520, Aug 8, 2017.

1. mike520

mike520 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2017
    what month of the year are you most likely to chain up?... I'm new to the game

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    on a personal level, i never chain up. in fact in all my 35+ years, i never chained up.

so for me....never.

Moosetek13, tazman74, pattyj and 4 others Thank this.
  4. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Never chained when I was OTR. If you ask me, if its bad enough to chain its time to park it.

Moosetek13, LWT104, flood and 3 others Thank this.
  5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Well your awesome. Also a great help to his question.

Where you run dictates more but generally you should hang chains on your truck ready for use from October 1st thru to April 31.
    That should keep you from getting cought with your pants down almost anywhere.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I've seen chain requirements up in September and May, beyond "carry chains" laws. Point is you just never know but If you run on/above 80 and west of 25, you can probably expect to chain at least some time in November, perhaps sooner.

jmroadhog Thanks this.
  7. The Kraut

The Kraut Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Land of Enchantment
    Last year I chained up at Donner Pass in October. Ran over Donner in June this year and it was snowing, in the night they put chain law in effect. So you never know :rolleyes:

swaan, LWT104, jmroadhog and 3 others Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i ran long haul (all lower 48) back in my earlier years. i never worked for a company that supplied us with chains...their philosophy..?? if you have to chain up, park it...

and in ALL jobs when i stayed local?

NO CHAINING REQUIRED AS WELL

so yeah, i'm awesome...i'm glad you recognized such awesomeness in me.....THANKS..>!!!!!!!

9. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    EXACTLY.

some of us worked for companies that DID NOT want us to drive and have an insurance claim. others have to drive, no matter what. depends on who you work for. being caught in an area where you must chain up, well, do what you have to do. but for someone to tell another to hang them, "just in case" like that other feller did, just tell me, is horse puckey at it's worse.

as it is now, going on nearly 8 years with my current company, i am up in the state of Maine making my delivery,and i can assure you i am MORE THAN knee deep in the customers parking lot, and can get in/out with a little effort. even when the roads are terrible up there, (every winter) no chains are required. the snows up there may not be as bad as elsewhere's but EVERY COMPANY i worked for told us to park it...in fact, my current employer calls me at home before my shift starts and tells me to stay home, due to the snow up north.

LWT104 Thanks this.
  10. tazman74

tazman74 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Albert Lea, Mn
    If you need to chain up or if it looks like you will need to chain up. Park it and wait.

austinmike and buddyd157 Thank this.
  11. Mountainmanlikes beaches

Mountainmanlikes beaches Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Practice while it is still warm so you know if they will fit correctly, carry a 4x4 block of wood to put the inner wheel up on so you can get them snug. They require you to carry chains Sept to June on 70 thru the mountains. Be prepared because you might have to stick them on to get to a safe place to park. Already snowed up @ 13,000 foot level in Colorado.

jmroadhog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.