So a question for some of you savvy o/o's

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kanidana, Oct 25, 2021.

1. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Transmission and rear ends

kanidana, RunningAces and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jason6541

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Some may say I am a bit excessive,
    Shocks yearly all 3 axles and cab shocks.
    Benefits, reduced tire wear, reduced wear on you, reduced vibration through truck and electrical. And reduced wear on suspension components.

kanidana Thanks this.
  4. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Throw a gallon of Supertech GL4 or 5 of gear oil on every oil service.

kanidana Thanks this.
  5. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    415,000 Miles in 2 years... You've been Busy..!!

Good job paying it off in 2 years Too..:cheers:

kanidana Thanks this.
  6. jason6541

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Another thing to keep a eye on is U joints and slip yokes. Drive line I am sure is sealed unless you custom ordered serviceable joints. About 500k or so they will be toast. I would also recommend that you replace carrier bearing. ( center support bearing) it is a sealed roller bearing encapsulated in rubber. When they go out you will be paying Billy bobs road service big money to change roadside or in a parking lot.

keep this phrase in mind
    “PRO ACTIVE MAINTENANCE IS CHEAPER THAN BREAKDOWN MAINTENANCE”.
    Every component has a life cycle. Goal is to maximize life of components, just shy of failure. Change the parts when convenient for you and you snd your truck will have a happy life. Neglect the truck and the MISTRESS (aka the truck).
    Will get the money one way or the other.

kanidana Thanks this.
  7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

Very true!!

I grew up on a 1940’s Bucyrus Erie 21W drilling rig with Babbitt bushings. My uncle always said that grease was the cheapest thing he could buy for it….

lester and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    You have no idea what you’re talking about. Good luck to you.

He’ll figure it out eventually. Trucking has been easy for him with a brand new truck. Now he’s too emotionally invested to keep making good decisions for this self described mechanical no nothing.

9. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Listen you can't deny that a lot of people buy used emission trucks that run very well an are very successful.
    Hell most people are doing that.

Simple maintenance and the fact that Trucks breakdown always.

10. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    Yes, I've driven used trucks before. What I thought he was saying is that the truck will no longer be operational in a year. I'm already aware that mechanical systems start breaking down over time. It's inevitable in an entropic universe. Visits to a shop will be inevitable. It's why I'm looking into switching over to a company to make more money because I'm deadheading way too much over here. I need to bank money quick for the inevitable breakdowns and repairs that I'll have to pay for. It's either truck payments or shop visits but I've heard shop visits are cheaper. Considering I've been paying between 5000 and 6000 dollars a month for my truck payments, and still taking several weeks off a year, I'm prepared for the inevitable costs of repairs up to and including an in frame. I may be a mechanical newb, but I've been o/oing for 6.5 years, I've just never paid off a truck.

11. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I may be a mechanical know nothing, but I'm far from new to trucking. I've been all over the map with driving used trucks so I know the drill. This is my second new truck, but every other truck I've driven was high mileage. If you notice, this is why I started this thread. It's kind of like my attempt at getting knowledge so that I can maximize up time and minimize down time with preventative maintenance. I'm willing to spend the money up front to minimize the road surprises and tow bills. But thanks for your arrogant but very non-informative input. Next your going to tell me I need at least 20 thousand dollars in the bank to be an o/o or something. But, I'm here to learn and many people here have given me good info. Thanks a bunch.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.