So how do you merge onto the highway?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kevin_L, Aug 29, 2014.

1. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Thank you, Drifter, I appreciate that very much.

Lepton1 and Drifter42 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Drifter42

Drifter42 Hopper Heartache

Dec 4, 2011
    Seymour IN
    You are welcome..Sometimes it takes a post like yours to come to grips of why we are here. To learn, to help, answer questions and also have a little fun. I will say there is a good group of folks on here, we just carried away sometimes.

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  4. Drifter42

Drifter42 Hopper Heartache

Dec 4, 2011
    Seymour IN
    Oh and I'm sure it will happen again :biggrin_25522: just in fun though without trying to be too harsh.

bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  5. AppalachianTrucker

AppalachianTrucker Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Orion Arm
    Merging a truck is remarkably similar to merging a car except that the truck is bigger. When one attends CDL school, it's assumed that a driver brings this knowledge along for the ride. Aside from the extra length to look out for so as to not crush other vehicles into a red mist, it works the same as in a car. But you're expected to already know how to drive when you go to CDL school.

Driving a truck requires keen attention to surroundings and dynamic situations, plus the ability to anticipate and participate in traffic flows just like when driving a car. The difference is that a truck driver understands and applies compensatory control inputs to accommodate the extra length and acceleration limitations of the heavy combination vehicle. This understanding comes with experience and education and practice. CDL school is only the beginning of a driver's learning process and usually only scratches of the surface of what a driver needs to know to be safe out there.

Drifter42 Thanks this.
  6. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Sorry Mike, but you're wrong on this. There is no qualifier relating to traffic volume. The ramp traffic never has the right of way over the main lane traffic on a limited access highway in any of the lower 48. However, we all try to move over to give each other room out of basic consideration if we aren't blocked. Sometimes we even do it for 4 wheelers.
    Frank

Drifter42 Thanks this.
  7. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Never assume the traffic will move for you. A good % of the time they can't move left on our overcrowded highways. I normally activate my left signal as soon as I start the ramp.

8. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    No Kidding. I asked if truck school teaches this or has the driver get on the ramps. I posted earlier that its hard to go the flow of traffic on a ramp especially if its short and your loaded. I never went to truck school so I dont know what they teach. But for the amount they charge, I would assume they have you do this.

9. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    I did not say, "Move over" I said make room. By that I meant make a gap.

Mikeeee

10. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    Anyway, if im on the travel lane and your merging and I meet you at the end ramp guess who stops? Me or you? Thats why many end up driving onto the shoulder because they dont know how to time the merge and they dont look until they are almost at the merge point, but mostly they dont know which pedal to use. Instead of it being a yield its now a stop sign. Oh well right.

11. Chewey

Chewey Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Are you talking about sex or traffic? :biggrin_2552:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.