So how do you merge onto the highway?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kevin_L, Aug 29, 2014.

1. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    There are alot of places that dont have a merge area tho , and they all have signs that says ramp has no merge area.

Soo , some of thos you may have to come to a complete stop . Then hope and prey someone will let you out ...

I never have a problem merging onto the highway . I come down and the cars that are in the right lane see that my truck says "swift" on the sleeper and they get out the way really fast . :biggrin_25523:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. berrysacha

berrysacha Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Car drivers have no clue as how to merge in general and they're totally lost in thinking up the (im)possibilities of what a truck can do. I regularly have to brake going UPHILL for a v e r y, v e r y, slow car coming on to highway, ending up next to me because they DON'T KNOW HOW TO ACCELARATE!

tangerineGT Thanks this.
  4. berrysacha

berrysacha Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2014
    That's hilarious. You made me Laugh out Loud. Tx.

5. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I hear that aggressive driver and overly cautious awards are coming soon

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  6. Jaguar115

Jaguar115 Heavy Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Warsaw, Mo
    Turn signal on. . Let it blink 3 times and start coming over. . Promise you there will be a hole where there wasn't one before. .

Of course now that I have a few more weeks experience. .lol..I start looking as I enter the merge ramp. . Try to time the gap. . In the end. . Most 4 wheelers are not complete a holes.. They will create a gap.

7. Pool6710

Pool6710 Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    How is this so #### difficult? Obviously you NEED to YIELD at the bottom of ANY ramp.

8. SlowPoke44magnum

SlowPoke44magnum Medium Load Member

May 3, 2009
    Walbridge,Ohio
    WOW! Seriously?! Do you not enter highways in a four wheeler?? Just wait until you get to experience PA's ramps... 20 mph onto the highway, great thinking PA!

tangerineGT Thanks this.
  9. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    I see fellow drivers merging their trucks onto the highway everyday and we make it look simple compared to 4wheelers. Very seldom do I see a truck having trouble getting onto a busy highway and I can't count how many cars I see everyday having to run the shoulder because they seem to think there will be absolutely no one on the highway when they get to the bottom of the ramp. My favorite saying to 4eheelers trying to get on the highway " brakes ,gas , or ditch ####### its your choice"

10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hey pp, oh yeah, many times I got the horn or the 1 finger salute. The thing I get a kick out of, is 4 wheelers that come down the ramp, and just at the last second look and see a truck next to them, then it's panic in Detroit. I had a rule , if I could slow down and let them in, I would, but rarely change lanes, then you get hung out to dry, except a truck, if I saw a truck coming down a ramp, I'd immediately let off to let them in, something I see some truckers don't even do anymore. FOR SHAME!

11. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    [QUOTE="semi" retired;4215400]Hey pp, oh yeah, many times I got the horn or the 1 finger salute. The thing I get a kick out of, is 4 wheelers that come down the ramp, and just at the last second look and see a truck next to them, then it's panic in Detroit. I had a rule , if I could slow down and let them in, I would, but rarely change lanes, then you get hung out to dry, except a truck, if I saw a truck coming down a ramp, I'd immediately let off to let them in, something I see some truckers don't even do anymore. FOR SHAME![/QUOTE] I do everything I can to let a truck on slow down, get over or even speeding up helps so they can have a hole just behind you but getting over is usually my last option becauseblike you said we usually get stuck in the left lane and for me that pisses a lot of ppl off in my 55mph truck

"semi" retired Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.